CLR and a SWG?

Jul 15, 2015
Rosenberg, TX
Long story short, I have very high CH and TA and really have no way around it. I installed my Intex SWG last Thursday and by Sunday I had a low salt fault. I read on here to check the element and the plate(thank you TFP) and sure enough they were both caked in calcium. I unhooked the unit and started the cleaning process with vinegar as per the instructions, and after 2 hours there was still quite a bit of calcium everywhere. My wife suggested using some CLR, so I did. I mixed up a 4 to 1 mixture of vinegar to CLR and everything was spotless in 30 minutes. I hooked the unit back up and everything was working great again. Today is Wednesday and everything is caked up again in calcium. Does anyone see a problem with using a Vinegar CLR solution again and using this on a regular basis? Is there anyway to reduce CH without getting a different water source? Thanks in advance for input.

unfortunately you can only lower CH and CYA by emptying water and refilling.. I take it your fill water is high in ch, or did you use calhypo to begin with?

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking you were using simple green, not CLR, sorry about that...

Last edited:
You have to be careful with CLR as it is mostly sulfamic and oxalic acid. You should only use the manufacturers recommended cleaning procedure as the SWG plates have specialized thin metal catalyst coatings on them and there's no way to know how CLR might react with the metals in the catalyst. Typically manufacturers suggest either dilute muriatic acid (5:1 water:MA) or acetic acid (vinegar) because those acids will not damage the coating. I'm guessing your plates are fine, but I would stick with the manufacturers recommended procedure.

As for your scaling issue, if you can post water test numbers with your TA & CH values, we might get to the bottom of your scaling issue. The amount of scaling you are reporting is very unusual and would seem to indicate that your water balance is way off.

You need to work on Lowering Total Alkalinity and keeping the pH down in the low 7's.

You will need muriatic acid and look into adding some type of aerator so the lowering TA process will be sped up. There are many people that have made their own aerators and a search for aerators should point you in the right direction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.