Copper ionizer??

Search the forum for threads titled with "copper" "ionizer" and "mineral systems" and you'll have plenty to read about why these systems promise a lot but deliver very little benefit.

Copper kills algae although a lot less effectively than chlorine. It does nothing for bacteria or viruses and does not limit person-to-person disease transmission in any way. Copper is also known to stain plaster pool and turn blonde hair green.

Short answer - stick to chlorine and forget all the "miracle products" that make promises too good to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you wanted to lose less chlorine to sunlight by having a lower FC/CYA ratio, then you would need another way to prevent algae growth. Algaecides are one way to do that, but copper has the side effects of staining pool surfaces (especially plaster, though you have vinyl so would be at lower risk except for fiberglass steps, etc.) and for turning blond hair greenish. Polyquat 60 would not have these side effects. Another approach is to use a phosphate remover since this removes an essential algae nutrient so slows down algae growth significantly. Of course, these extra products are extra cost so you'd have to figure in the maintenance cost of those products compared to the cost savings from the lower chlorine usage. It is not the minimalist approach of just using chlorine alone to also prevent algae growth regardless of algae nutrient level.

What exactly is the problem you are trying to solve in terms of using less chlorine? Do you mean buying and carrying less?

Wow! Seems pretty definitive when I look at those prior posts. Shoulda searched first but maybe this recent post will help someone else out as well.

@chem geek -- The only "problem" I was tempted to solve was the routine addition of chlorine and its expense. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with BBB and will stick to it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.