First time post. This place is great!

Jul 29, 2015
Tempe/AZ
Greetings TFP gang,

Three weeks ago, I was one of those people mindlessly filling two floaters with trichlor tablets without a care in the world. I came back from vacation and...well, you can probably guess what happened. :D

Since then, I've read pool school at least 3x, partially drained my pool to get my CYA level down, have performed the SLAM process, and have joined the TFP ranks. I'm still hunting for the best deal in town for liquid chlorine, but even that is much easier thanks to Dan's calculator. Thanks for such an amazing site and all the helpful advice.

I have a few non-chemistry questions:

1. I'd like to eventually convert to a play pool. I'd be interested to hear from you all regarding any advice, lessons learned, etc.
  2. We recently had our patio and pool deck redone in addition to putting in an auto fill. It's been great, until it got hot...somehow, air is getting into the line and blocking the water flow. Probably a pinhole leak or something. The contractor is going to fix it after the summer season, but I'm curious if anyone has any interim tips. Once the air is removed, the water flows again for a while until the air returns. Here's a video showing the issue.
  3. I've never done anything with the filter or pump, aside from backwashing the filter and removing debris from the pump. Everything seems to be fine, although the pump is a bit noisy. I purchased the house as a foreclosure at the end of 2008 and have no idea as to the age of the pool or equipment. Here's a picture - I'm just wondering if I should be doing anything more as preventative maintenance.

Thanks again for the amazing site!