First house, first pool, first SLAM time ... feeling nervous!

Updating again: Test result time!

TC: .4
FC: .6
pH: 8
TA: 8
CYA: Off the charts low, less than 30 (tested 3 times, used a test strip we had to confirm - came back lighter than the 'very low' color)
CH: Didn't test - vinyl pool - can we skip this for now?

So, according to pool math, we need to:
- Add bleach (about 391 oz)...BUT - I think we have mustard algae (it's yellow, powdery, and all over everything?), and the calculator says to go to 14PPM? So in that case, add 557 oz?
- Add baking soda (about 626 oz)
- Add muriatic acid (don't have any - will have to wait on this)

Are we doing this right?

Did you adjust your pH before slamming? Usually advised, probably not the end of the world.

It would be best to lower the PH to 7.2. Having said that, PH test isn't accurate if your FC is above 10. Have you already started the SLAM?

Woohoo! Just got home today and the pool is no longer green, just cloudy (big improvement). Can see all the way to the bottom of the deep end (very hazy) to a dark pile of muck which we're about to vacuum out. FC had dropped down quite a lot during the day (11.6 this morning, right about 1 when I got home), so we added bleach, skimmed, are eating a quick snack, and will start to vacuum.

So, about CYA -

Since our CYA is off-the-charts low, should we just keep slamming with bleach, or should we add either some chlorine powder or the pucks to help get that up a bit?

The pucks would be good because they'd help us keep the chlorine up during the day tomorrow while we're at work, but the slam is really working, and we don't want to get in its way.

Any advice? Over the weekend, we'll just be bleaching like crazy - we'll be home and able to test pretty much round the clock.

I think the pucks release a bit slower than you might want for a SLAM. Sure, you can use them, sort of as an augment to the liquid chlorine and to reap the CYA out of them but I would still use the bleach to give it that instant "POW!" of chlorine.

No - I am sorry! I was so eager to get home and check my chlorine levels that I didn't read the thread first. I will never make that mistake again!

Holding steady at 10.4 fc, .4 cc right now, and we've vac'd and brushed the you know what out of it!

I will check ph next time fc drops down below slam.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I actually hope it doesn't drop!

Since you seem worried about that CYA, you could always get the liquid. It dissolves right away so you can test it as soon as it circulates well. That way you could add it slowly (not to overshoot!!!!) and you would know what CYA you're dealing with. It is more expensive, but it's not as much of a guessing game.

Totally not worried about the CYA if I don't need to be - just wondering if it would be useful to get the number higher. I know we're lucky that we don't have too high of a CYA right now after reading so many other new TFPer stories.

Just tested at 8.8 on FC and .2 on CC. Adding more bleach now - just realized we still forgot to pick up muriatic acid, so can't bump the pH down yet.

All of this testing going on, and just found that we've got a mouse (or maybe more than one) in the house...now I'm torn between my mortal enemy of algae and my mortal enemy of mouse! Ah, the joys of homeownership.

At least while we were at the store picking up mouse traps, we were able to get some pretty fresh bleach at a pretty good price :)

Note: You can switch to a 10ml test while you are SLAMming. It's accurate enough for now. Will help save on testing supplies. There should be instructions explaining the difference in your kit. But basically you shouldn't need as much powder and the drops are .5 instead of .2 each.

Note: You can switch to a 10ml test while you are SLAMming. It's accurate enough for now. Will help save on testing supplies. There should be instructions explaining the difference in your kit. But basically you shouldn't need as much powder and the drops are .5 instead of .2 each.

Brilliant idea from those who suggested this! Just did this for my morning test. FC at 11.5, CC at .4. Held with less than 1 ppm drop overnight, which is great news! Water's still not clear, though.

I'm guessing with the very low drop overnight and because we've only had this up and running for 2 days now that it was probably pollen not mustard algae, just like you suggested, pabeader. Water cleared up a little more overnight (still can't really see bottom of the deep end except some hazy shadows), but I can see a few spots we must have missed with the vac last night. I'll do what I can with a leaf rake before work, add a little bleach to get us through the hot day, and we'll go from there.

Once again, thanks everybody. You're making this way, way too easy...I've always heard nightmares about pool care, but it turns out you just need a bunch of awesome internet friends, a truckload of bleach, and a slight tendency towards wanting to be a mad scientist!

I'll snap some pics this afternoon!

Even though your overnight loss looked pretty good, be sure to keep the FC at SLAM level until the water is perfectly clear.
It's very important to do that.

The next time you test, if by chance the FC is below 10, go ahead and adjust your pH down a bit.

You're coming along nicely. Keep up the good work!

Woohoo! Just got home today and the pool is no longer green, just cloudy (big improvement). Can see all the way to the bottom of the deep end (very hazy) to a dark pile of muck which we're about to vacuum out. FC had dropped down quite a lot during the day (11.6 this morning, right about 1 when I got home), so we added bleach, skimmed, are eating a quick snack, and will start to vacuum.

So, about CYA -

Since our CYA is off-the-charts low, should we just keep slamming with bleach, or should we add either some chlorine powder or the pucks to help get that up a bit?

The pucks would be good because they'd help us keep the chlorine up during the day tomorrow while we're at work, but the slam is really working, and we don't want to get in its way.

Any advice? Over the weekend, we'll just be bleaching like crazy - we'll be home and able to test pretty much round the clock.

Personally I would just pick up a around 8lbs of CYA granules and put 2lbs at a time into a sock in the skimmer. Check after every 2 pounds till you get there. That way you know you won't over shoot. I just raised my CYA this year after a re-line and it brought it up beautifully to 40ppm. Liquid is nice but more $. Have it there waiting and when you are done slamming or close to it get it dissolving.

FYI. Handle all your chems with care especially Muratic and Bleach. Your pool is on it's way to being awesome!

Hi, all -

Just an update after the long weekend of unpacking our house and working on the pool: Water's almost completely clear (still not quite clear enough!). We've been passing the OCLT for some days now and CC is never above .5, but keep on pushing for clearer water, and that seems to be working. We can see individual speckles of color on the bottom of the deep end, finally! Hurrah!

I can't thank you all enough for the support and care you have given, especially as we started this for the first time. We're TFP-converts for life, and I think we've won over some friends & family, too. Hurrah!

:)

I'll get some pics and test results up here later today.

Leah

Hi, guys! Glad things are going so well!!!

To help your sand filter get the finer particulates out, you could add some diatomaceous earth (DE) to your filter. You can buy it at Home Depot in the pool section. If you decide to do this, be sure to get pool DE, not food grade. It comes in a 25# box for about $20 but will last indefinitely. I use DE after every backwash all season.

Here's how to do it should you decide to try:
Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

How are those mice?!?!?!

Hi, all,

A few pics today! Not quite there in terms of clarity, but getting really close. I think most people would say we've got a clean, sparkly pool...but I've seen the photos of what you all have gotten to.

20150803_183923.jpg

Just added more chlorine to get us back up to SLAM level, but used some CalHypo that we inherited with the pool following some careful instructions on the forum. We're getting brave! Crossing our fingers and hoping nothing goes wrong with that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.