First house, first pool, first SLAM time ... feeling nervous!

Hi, everybody! I thought I'd write and introduce myself and my husband. We've been lurkers for the past couple of weeks since we bought our first house (with our first pool!)

Background (Also will add the pertinent details to my signature in a bit): We bought a badly-damaged swamp (total sludge, terribly torn liner, water that was left full of frogs and tadpoles) and closed on the house less than a month ago. A little over a week later, we had step one complete: the pool was drained, the liner was replaced, and refilled. The new liner is beautiful, and so are the new steps we put in (there were none before)! We got one or two good swims in early on while we were still following the pool co's instructions and reading up on TFP, but then, sadly, we had to leave town for a family funeral halfway across the country. We stuck some of the previous owner's leftover chlorine tabs in the auto feeder knowing it was probably a lost cause, and when we came back the next week, we came home to a slightly greenish, fairly cloudy pool.

We had planned on going with the TFP method all along (we were early converts even before the pool was officially ours), but the pool company that did the liner replacement loaded us down with some chemicals at the beginning to get the water ready before we could say anything at all! It also took a little while for our test kit to arrive. We finally broke into it last night. We have the Taylor K-2006 lined up and ready to go, and a lot of 8.25% bleach stored up.

OK, so the pool's a rectangular 18 x 36 vinyl in ground one, pretty standard, about 29.5K gallons. Hayward pump / filter and in-line auto. chlorinator. Pool is pretty old (not quite sure how old...), and we've been told the filtration system is a little undersized by today's standards (one skimmer, one return, sand filter possibly a little on the small side?). I've got to get all the specs on the pump and everything when I get home - can't recall them right now!

...So, first thing's first, right? We'll do the test when we get home this evening, and post our results. We know we're gonna be slamming - we've looked at enough before and afters on here to know! - and I'm a little nervous, even though I'm totally a believer. I'll also get some way before (at purchase) and before pics up, because maybe that will help convince other people out there how well this works (the pics are pretty amazing!).

Any tips for a first timer as we get ready for this adventure?

Also, just from a newbie's perspective - you guys are the friendliest, cheeriest, most encouraging bunch of people on the entire internet. :) We were so much less scared of having a pool after finding you all and seeing the awesome way you help people out.

- Leah & John
& Oakley (the dog, who can't wait to get in)

Sounds like you're off to a good start with a good test kit. When it arrives, do the full battery of tests and post here. We'll get you started. The CYA is the most difficult and subjective so be sure to mix the sample, rest it 30 seconds, mix then test in the tube. Do it in full sunlight, sun at your back, tube at waist height for best results. Once you get a reading, pour the sample back into the mixing container, shake it and do the test again... and another time if you need to in order to get similar results. Reread the SLAM procedure in Pool School so you know what's expected.

Play with Pool Math. It's you're best friend during a SLAM.

Once you put TFP methods into practice, it will make sense.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

My advice is to make sure you are familiar with your equipment and the way the valves work if you have any. You will most likely be cleaning your filter at least once. When you are not cleaning the filter or turning valves you will want to be running your pump until you have completed the SLAM. You also want to do your best to make sure that you are always at or above your shock level for your CYA. For instance if you test in the morning and you determine you need to add 1 full bottle of bleach to bring it back up to shock level however you will not be home to test again until after work it is best to add more than just that one bottle as you will be below shock level again when you get home. Ideally you will want to start the SLAM process when you will be home for an extended period of time such as a weekend to test and add bleach every hour if possible.

Also please ask as many questions as you need to, there is nothing wrong with asking questions even if you think its a dumb one (which it is not). A lot of us have bought foreclosures with pools and as result found this site because we knew very little about pools and needed to learn.

Welcome y'all!
It sounds like you're ready to do this! Will there be someone available for a few days to focus on this almost hourly? If you can do that, it really will go much faster.

I see you stocked up on fresh bleach, hopefully from a store that has good turnover. 8.25% is the norm these days. Another option is to check with your local pool store or hardware store for higher concentration liquid chlorine. It may be cheaper that way.
Either way, caring for your pool the TFP way is almost always cheaper than dealing with the pool store and their chemicals.

Get that first test run done and come back with results if you want to get input.

This is really great advice - we feel pretty comfortable with the pump and that system. We're totally with you all in ditching the pool company for service, but the guys who installed the new liner did do a great job of teaching us about the way the equipment works and how to clean / service / access anything and everything we need. They gave us good tips on brushing & vacuuming as well. We felt a little sorry saying "See ya!" afterwards! :)

We didn't buy an actual foreclosure, but the previous owner had a lot of health problems and really let the pool go. Acc. to neighbors and the company he 'used', it hadn't even been opened up in several seasons, just sitting there full of big old frogs. We were surprised we got out of the repairs as unscathed as we did - just the liner, a few broken springs on the safety cover, and a crack in the outer casing of the filter, all easily fixed!

Wish I could get home and get started on this right away! We will be home all weekend and have fairly compatible work schedules, so hopefully we'll be able to really keep the levels up.

You've come to the right place. People will marvel at your pool and assume you spend hundreds of dollars and lots of hours each month to maintain such clear water. When they do, just smile and nod, and say, "Can I get you another drink?" :cool:

:)

Okay, almost done testing but we're having trouble with the CYA, just like everybody predicted! We've done it twice now, new samples each time, and we can fill the tube high enough for the black dot to disappear...it gets pretty blurry at 30, but if I'm honest, I can still see a dot. Is it possible we're off-the-charts lower than that? Are we messing up the test? Help!

Updating again: Test result time!

TC: .4
FC: .6
pH: 8
TA: 8
CYA: Off the charts low, less than 30 (tested 3 times, used a test strip we had to confirm - came back lighter than the 'very low' color)
CH: Didn't test - vinyl pool - can we skip this for now?

So, according to pool math, we need to:
- Add bleach (about 391 oz)...BUT - I think we have mustard algae (it's yellow, powdery, and all over everything?), and the calculator says to go to 14PPM? So in that case, add 557 oz?
- Add baking soda (about 626 oz)
- Add muriatic acid (don't have any - will have to wait on this)

Are we doing this right?

8:30 PM - Added 4 1/2 121 oz. containers of bleach. One was a bit past its prime, maybe not quite strong enough?

10:30 PM - Tested again -
FC 2.2
CC .4

Adding another 121 oz of bleach tonight to take us back up to 10. As we'll be asleep and are clearly fighting off algae, should we add a little more as we won't be checking while we sleep?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome. You're doing great!

A couple of things you can do tomorrow at work (after you test and add bleach to the pool, of course!)

Read this: Pool School - Mustard Algae

And double check your pool volume. For an 18x36 rectangular pool, you would have to have a really, really, really deep pool to have 29/29.5K in there.

p.s. If there are pucks in that in-line chlorinator, they will bring your CYA up. I would recheck CYA before considering adding any more.

p.p.s. My kid is working in Staunton this week and at Wintergreen Resort next week. Give him a wave for me!

Last edited:
Welcome. You're doing great!

And double check your pool volume. For an 18x36 rectangular pool, you would have to have a really, really, really deep pool to have 29/29.5K in there.

p.s. If there are pucks in that in-line chlorinator, they will bring your CYA up. I would recheck CYA before considering adding any more.

p.p.s. My kid is working in Staunton this week and at Wintergreen Resort next week. Give him a wave for me!

Will read on the algae - not sure if this is it or not, but it's definitely in there. Some pics below - not sure if you'll be able to see it or not!

On the pucks: We don't have any in there now, but we're wondering if we should add either some pucks or some plain old stabilizer to get the CYA up a bit.

Should we worry about that later, or will throwing some in now help us keep Chlorine levels up during the day (very sunny pool area, very, very hot these days!)?

Doing a bit better this morning:
FC 5
CC .4

Am adding bleach to get it back up to SLAM level, plus a bit for the long day ahead.

On pool volume: When I recalculated on pool math, it came to 29700 gallons. Our shallow end is 3.75' (water depth), and our deep end is 8.5' (water depth). Am I missing something?

We'll wave up the mountain this morning in honor of your son!

That's definitely a fair point - we have a HUGE crape myrtle very near the pool, and now that you mention it, it did start flowering in the past week or so...weird! I guess we'll see what happens over the course of the slam?

Our new vacuum hose just arrived, so we'll be vacuuming this afternoon and will hopefully get a lot of it picked up that way...

If you can, you might want to direct your returns towards the bottom of the pool. Since I did that with mine, I haven't had to vacuum once. I brush everyday and never really find anything on the bottom except right near the floor drain. Mine is not directly on the bottom so I have to help the dirt up the slope a little.

Brushing is very important. It helps the chlorine get in contact with the algae. Be sure to brush anything that's in the pool, stairs, ladders, toys. Slow moving people. :)

- - - Updated - - -

When ever you're home be sure to be testing and adding every hour or so. At least until the FC level starts to hold. Then you can stretch it out a little.

Just tested again before I head to work after the addition at 7:30 - FC came in at 11.6 which is a little higher than we need (10). Heading to work, though, and I know it will be a while before I get back (about 5:00).

Have to head out now, but wondering if we could / should use some pucks while we're away tomorrow, esp. given that we have such low (off the charts) CYA? Use pucks during the day tomorrow, retest CYA, and go from there?

We'll be able to check every hour or so over the weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.