Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Smell in Salt Water Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Smell in Salt Water Pool

Hello!
    I have a very basic, new pool owner question ... Should there be any chlorine smell at all in a salt water pool? *I know my SWG produces a small amount of chlorine each day. But this is a somewhat strong chlorine smell.* I've taken the pool water to be tested at our local pool store and the owner said this is normal. However, I installed a salt water pool because I didn't want to smell chlorine.

Here are the readings from the pool store yesterday ...

FC 3
    TC 3
    pH 7.8
    TA 75
    CH 140
    CYA 30
    Salt 4000

PLEASE talk in basic terms to me as I am such a newbie!!! PLEASE
    16x36 IG Vinyl (25k gallons), Pentair Sand Dollar Filter SD60, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Intelliflo Superflo VS Pump, Polaris 360 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Smell in Salt Water Pool

your chlorine smell is coming from the presence of CC, I would think you need to SLAM i believe is the term used here to kill whatever your chlorine is trying to kill and then the CC will go back to 0 and the smell will go away

EDIT: and a salt water pool is still a chlorine pool as you mentioned. It just produces chlorine gas from the salt in the water instead of you adding the chlorine manually
    Intex 20' x 52" Ultra frame pool w/ 1,600-Gallon sand filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

We don't trust pool store tests. As above, it's very likely that you have CC which is what generates the chlorine smell. I have a SWG and FC of as high as 8 and no smell whatsoever.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

The chlorine smell is produced by the chlorine doing its job.

If this chlorine smell was noticed after the pool was getting a lot of use that could be expected as it's oxidizing all the bather waste. If it's all the time, you could be battling algae and keeping enough chlorine to keep it from getting out of hand but not enough chlorine to eliminate it.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

High chlorine smells mean that your chlorine is overwhelmed dealing with chloramines. Check your tests. Hows the water look?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

The water is clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Y'all really know your pool stuff!

I'm guessing I should invest in the TF-100 test kit? I keep seeing that on this forum ...

Meanwhile, is there a formula to figure out CC? Maybe I've missed those instructions on this site.

8. Back To Top    #8

The TF-100 can test for CC after you do the Free Chlorine test.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

TC (Total Chlorine) = FC (Free Chlorine) + CC (Combined Chloramines)

I see your pool store test results show TC = FC, which would suggest your CC = 0. However, because pool store tests are notoriously unreliable, we can't be sure whether that's actually the case. If you're bored one day, take 2 or 3 different samples at the same time and drop each one off at a different pool store. Or, better yet, take those 2 or 3 samples to one pool store and have them test them all.

This is why the foundation of TFP is testing your own water with one of the recommended test kits; that way we are all speaking the same language and we can all help with recommendations if you have difficulties with the tests.

The TF-100 and Taylor K-2006 are both great test kits -- the TF-100 has more reagents (chemicals used to test the various aspects of water chemistry), so it ends up being a better value, IMO.
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

10. Back To Top    #10

**the chlorine smell is gone**

I received my TF-100 Test Kit today and have already put it to use!

Here are my results ...

pH 7.5
    TA 70
    FC 11
    CC 0
    TC 11
    CYA 40
    CH 250

My SWG was running at 80%. I just adjusted it down to 68%.

Please advise on what else I should do!

Thank you!!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Isn't it amazing how the pool store got an FC of 3 ppm but you measure 11 ppm? Are you using a 10 ml water sample and it took 22 drops to get the pink/red to turn clear?

In your case, you probably were smelling chlorine because the level was pretty high. Still not at SLAM levels, but over 5 times higher than needed for an SWG with your current CYA level.

You are doing the right thing by turning down your SWG. I'd lower it more probably to around 40% which would probably have the FC drop over time to around half so around 5-6 ppm. Then you can consider raising your CYA level if you want your SWG to last longer.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Numbers look good!

You can add your pool info to your sig, more here, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

I did use a 10ml bottle and it took 22 drops!

Should I add any stabilizer???

14. Back To Top    #14

If your pool is in full sunlight most of the day, then you could add stabilizer to get the CYA higher so that you'd be able to turn down your SWG even more, but if you want to wait on doing that later after you've got your FC settled down, that would be fine. You'll at least then be able to see what your normal SWG setting is for a minimum of at least 2 ppm FC with 40 ppm CYA.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank you so much!
    Our pool is in full sunlight all day..no shade at all.

I'm going to adjust the SWG and recheck for the next couple of days and see what happens.

Thanks again!

16. Back To Top    #16

I have a chlorine pool and never smell chlorine. Just saying =)
    12k in ground, 14x28 sports pool, concrete/plaster/diamond brite, uncovered
    Waterway 1.5hp pump, waterway 150sqft cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, on city water, Zodiac MX8

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm going to chime in on the smell question because my water sometimes more or less smells like chlorine as well. I noticed my tap water also kind of has the same smell. I can't tell you the exact conditions that the smell is better or worse but I've never had algae and my numbers rock. I haven't smelled any odor lately but in the spring it was kind gross smelling. Take a good strong whiff of your tap water.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

I have a SWCG also, I have been working on getting my FC dialed in. If I notice a smell of CC in the morning I look for critters in the skimmer or leaves and stuff on the bottom.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

19. Back To Top    #19

The chlorine smell is gone now! But the pool store lady told me I SHOULD smell a little chlorine 😝 Thank goodness for this site!!!! I knew she was wrong! lol

- - - Updated - - -

That's a great point!