Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water color

1. Back To Top    #1

Water color

I am always curious why the water color of the pool in the homepage is that blue. Did you use some chemicals to make it blue? Or because of the pool surface color, or you used some software to post-processed it? I never have that blue color for my pool, at most it is very clear.
    2003 Build 20K gallon salt water gunite IG pool, Taylor 2006 test kit, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water color

Most pool color comes from the liner/plaster surface color which are nearly always some hue of blue. Even if you had a white liner, you'd likely see some tint of blue from the reflection of the sky... I think.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

White liner = Clear water. Up to around 4+ foot then it will start turning blue. The water in my white pool is BLUE at 1" but that is because of a reaction between the iron and the yellow prussiate of soda that was in the salt I added. It is not normal, but my wife likes it so...

- - - Updated - - -

water is blue due to the absorption of other colors. Not because it reflects the sky.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

That makes sense. Some photos show the white cloud in the sky and the water is still blue. Why water of my pool looks transparent but not blue?
    2003 Build 20K gallon salt water gunite IG pool, Taylor 2006 test kit, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robot

5. Back To Top    #5

As long as it's not green we're good right!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Have you posted a recent picture?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, it is:

Trouble Free Pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi Yangcha,
    the pool on the home page is a Vinyl Liner pool, and the color of the liner is very blue. (my pool is the same color).

Your pool has different color plaster, which will present a drastic different color.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Anyone ever try party blue? I was at my pool builders store using up some credit on toys and we were discussing that we aren't thrilled with our liner color...it's tan and our water is clear up to 5' then turns a teal in 8'. Anyway he showed me a product he was using in their test pool out back...test pools liner is faded light blue so they use some chemical called party blue to turn the water dark blue. He then threw a bag of shock in and brushed it around and the water color turned back light blue like the liner.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter