Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swim Spa Pump Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Swim Spa Pump Replacement

Have three 3HP pumps in our swim spa. One has gone south (starter switch bad) and another heats up and trips breaker after 10-minutes. Need to replace all three as they are all over twenty years old. We don't use them to swim against the current, as at 210 pounds these 'fat boy' pumps don't work that well for me. They are Pentair WhisperFlo and have served us well. Looking to replace with fewer HP as only the grandkids use them. Perhaps a 1 1/2HP - 2HP. Anyone know of a good source and make/model?
    All the very best!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Swim Spa Pump Replacement

The Pentair Whisperflo is usually a good, quality pump. They make 1 1/2 and 1hp motor sizes. Unless you're wanting to go big bucks with VSP pumps, you can simply replace the motors, seals,impellors, and volutes. That would eliminate all the replumbing.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks OldPoolMan, Where might a person get these "replacement" parts?
    All the very best!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You can get Whisperfo parts online or any reputable pool supply The Whisperflo pump is a longtime reliable pump. I've been working on it for like 30 years and parts are readily available. My thought is, is your spa a fliter pump plus 2 swim pumps? Because I wonder how many of the pumps do you need to replace?

5. Back To Top    #5

We have three 3HP Pentair WhisperFlo pumps that are individually plumbed to exit their own 3" outlets at the far end of the pool/spa. They were installed in July of 1993. I was just recently told by a Pentair rep, from the Pentair web site, that they no longer make these pumps and that the start switch part (small electronic connector) is no longer available? The circulating filter pump works fine for the spa ports. I would rather fix than replace but can replace one at a time or if I can simply replace the motors, perhaps replace the three 3HP units?
    All the very best!