Taylor 9056 Test Block

fozzie

Gold Supporter
Oct 13, 2013
Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
Hello all!

I ordered the Taylor 9056 which tests chlorine up to 10 ppm, and having trouble finding directions on how to use it. I was surprised when it arrived it came with no directions. Can anyone help me out with this? I've searched this site and haven't found much about it...maybe it's not widely used.....

By the way, I love this web site! My pool is always so sparkling clear. Thank you in advance for any help you can give, it is much appreciated.:D

5 drops of red in one side and 5 drops of yellow in the other.

Not a very sophisticated test and not accurate enough for determining problems or cures.

P.S. Isn't that the one included in the TFT 100 kit?

For FC/CC you add five (5) drops of R-0001 reagent and five (5) drops of R-0002 reagent. Invert to mix. Compare the color and record, this is your FC. Next add five (5) drops of R-0003 reagent. Compare the color and record, this is your TC value.

CC = TC - FC

For pH, simply add five (5) drops of the R-0004 reagent, invert to mix. Read the color and compare for pH.

This block is for the DPD-only (pink) chlorine test. It is related to the Taylor K-1001 Basic Test Kit. You need the Taylor R-0001 and R-0002 reagents.

This is NOT for the OTO chlorine test (yellow).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this on Taylors site:

Free, Combined & Total Chlorine Test
1. Rinse and fill small comparator tube to 9 mL mark with water to be tested.
2. Add 5 drops R-0001 and 5 drops R-0002. Cap and invert to mix.
3. Match color with color standard.* Record as parts per million (ppm) free chlorine (FC).
4. Add 5 drops R-0003. Cap and invert to mix.
5. Match color immediately. Record as ppm total chlorine (TC).
6. Subtract FC from TC. Record as ppm combined chlorine (CC). Formula: TC - FC = CC.
Total Bromine Test
1. Rinse and fill small comparator tube to 9 mL mark with water to be tested.
2. Add 5 drops R-0001 and 5 drops R-0002. Cap and invert to mix.
3. Match color with color standard.* Record as parts per million (ppm) total bromine.
*If color is off-scale: Repeat test using 4.5 mL sample diluted to 9 mL mark
with tap water. Multiply reading by 2 to obtain approximate sanitizer level. If
color is still off-scale: Repeat test using 1.8 mL sample diluted to 9 mL mark
with tap water. Multiply reading by 5 to obtain approximate sanitizer level.

5 drops of red in one side and 5 drops of yellow in the other.

Not a very sophisticated test and not accurate enough for determining problems or cures.

P.S. Isn't that the one included in the TFT 100 kit?
No, this is not an OTO test (no yellow) - it is an extended range DPD test, which provides a new procedure for day to day testing in the 5-10 ppm range (where I try to keep my pool, for instance).

OP, take a look at this thread if you haven't seen it yet
New #9056 Comparator Has Higher FC Range (1-10PPM)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone!! Looks like I will need to buy reagents R-0001 and R-0002, as I didn't see them as part of my TF-100.

They are not part of either the TF100 or the K-2006. They come with a K-1001 or you can sometimes find them in Leslie's pool store or some of the larger chain pool stores. Ordering online with Amazon is an option too.

Some of the Taylor test blocks have the fill level marked with a molded line in the clear plastic on the outside of the tube. It's hard to see because it's just a clear molded feature.

Yes I agree, VERY hard to see....

- - - Updated - - -

They are not part of either the TF100 or the K-2006. They come with a K-1001 or you can sometimes find them in Leslie's pool store or some of the larger chain pool stores. Ordering online with Amazon is an option too.

We have a local pool supply store (not Leslie's), so I am off to see if they have what I am looking for.....

Found the R-0001 & 0002. Just did the FC test and boy are those reds hard to distinguish--I suppose it will get easier the more I use it. It read somewhere between the 7.5 and 10 ppm. Then I did the FAS-DPD just to see how close they'd be, and that read 9 ppm FC, so not too bad. I know that's a little higher than I need to be with the FC but I like to keep it higher when the weather is hot & sunny, rather than risk going below 5 ppm. Thanks again everyone!

Found the R-0001 & 0002. Just did the FC test and boy are those reds hard to distinguish--I suppose it will get easier the more I use it. It read somewhere between the 7.5 and 10 ppm. Then I did the FAS-DPD just to see how close they'd be, and that read 9 ppm FC, so not too bad. I know that's a little higher than I need to be with the FC but I like to keep it higher when the weather is hot & sunny, rather than risk going below 5 ppm. Thanks again everyone!

You can try different colors of construction paper as a background to see if any sharpen up the differences on the comparator block. I know that if I stand in the shade and hold the comparator block up to a bright blue sky, I get pretty good color differences. My concrete color also works pretty good too. You can just grab some construction paper and play with the comparator block, no need to have an actual test sample in the tube.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.