Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor 9056 Test Block

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor 9056 Test Block

Hello all!

I ordered the Taylor 9056 which tests chlorine up to 10 ppm, and having trouble finding directions on how to use it. I was surprised when it arrived it came with no directions. Can anyone help me out with this? I've searched this site and haven't found much about it...maybe it's not widely used.....

By the way, I love this web site! My pool is always so sparkling clear. Thank you in advance for any help you can give, it is much appreciated.
    13K gal, 16x32 IG vinyl, Hayward SuperPump 3/4 HP, Hayward Perflex DE filter, AquaRite SWCG T-15. Hayward SharkVac. AquaCal T-115 heat pump. Built Oct 2013. TF100 test kit. Borated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor 9056 Test Block

5 drops of red in one side and 5 drops of yellow in the other.

Not a very sophisticated test and not accurate enough for determining problems or cures.

P.S. Isn't that the one included in the TFT 100 kit?
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

For FC/CC you add five (5) drops of R-0001 reagent and five (5) drops of R-0002 reagent. Invert to mix. Compare the color and record, this is your FC. Next add five (5) drops of R-0003 reagent. Compare the color and record, this is your TC value.

CC = TC - FC

For pH, simply add five (5) drops of the R-0004 reagent, invert to mix. Read the color and compare for pH.

This block is for the DPD-only (pink) chlorine test. It is related to the Taylor K-1001 Basic Test Kit. You need the Taylor R-0001 and R-0002 reagents.

This is NOT for the OTO chlorine test (yellow).

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your replies Griswald and JoyfulNoise.....so how much water to I put in each cylinder before I add the drops? I'm guessing fill them up to the top line?
    13K gal, 16x32 IG vinyl, Hayward SuperPump 3/4 HP, Hayward Perflex DE filter, AquaRite SWCG T-15. Hayward SharkVac. AquaCal T-115 heat pump. Built Oct 2013. TF100 test kit. Borated.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

That's weird. There isn't a little line at the top. Is there one on the other side? I can only find pics of the 'front'
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

The pH side goes up to 44 (ml?) and the chlorine side goes up to 9 (ml?)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by fozzie View Post
    The pH side goes up to 44 (ml?) and the chlorine side goes up to 9 (ml?)
    Yes. That is correct. The chlorine side uses a 9mL water sample size.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I found this on Taylors site:

Free, Combined & Total Chlorine Test
    1. Rinse and fill small comparator tube to 9 mL mark with water to be tested.
    2. Add 5 drops R-0001 and 5 drops R-0002. Cap and invert to mix.
    3. Match color with color standard.* Record as parts per million (ppm) free chlorine (FC).
    4. Add 5 drops R-0003. Cap and invert to mix.
    5. Match color immediately. Record as ppm total chlorine (TC).
    6. Subtract FC from TC. Record as ppm combined chlorine (CC). Formula: TC - FC = CC.
    Total Bromine Test
    1. Rinse and fill small comparator tube to 9 mL mark with water to be tested.
    2. Add 5 drops R-0001 and 5 drops R-0002. Cap and invert to mix.
    3. Match color with color standard.* Record as parts per million (ppm) total bromine.
    *If color is off-scale: Repeat test using 4.5 mL sample diluted to 9 mL mark
    with tap water. Multiply reading by 2 to obtain approximate sanitizer level. If
    color is still off-scale: Repeat test using 1.8 mL sample diluted to 9 mL mark
    with tap water. Multiply reading by 5 to obtain approximate sanitizer level.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    5 drops of red in one side and 5 drops of yellow in the other.

Not a very sophisticated test and not accurate enough for determining problems or cures.

P.S. Isn't that the one included in the TFT 100 kit?
    No, this is not an OTO test (no yellow) - it is an extended range DPD test, which provides a new procedure for day to day testing in the 5-10 ppm range (where I try to keep my pool, for instance).

OP, take a look at this thread if you haven't seen it yet
    New #9056 Comparator Has Higher FC Range (1-10PPM)
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone!! Looks like I will need to buy reagents R-0001 and R-0002, as I didn't see them as part of my TF-100.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks everyone!! Looks like I will need to buy reagents R-0001 and R-0002, as I didn't see them as part of my TF-100.
    They are not part of either the TF100 or the K-2006. They come with a K-1001 or you can sometimes find them in Leslie's pool store or some of the larger chain pool stores. Ordering online with Amazon is an option too.

Matt

12. Back To Top    #12

Some of the Taylor test blocks have the fill level marked with a molded line in the clear plastic on the outside of the tube. It's hard to see because it's just a clear molded feature.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by gtemkin View Post
    Some of the Taylor test blocks have the fill level marked with a molded line in the clear plastic on the outside of the tube. It's hard to see because it's just a clear molded feature.
    Yes I agree, VERY hard to see....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    They are not part of either the TF100 or the K-2006. They come with a K-1001 or you can sometimes find them in Leslie's pool store or some of the larger chain pool stores. Ordering online with Amazon is an option too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We have a local pool supply store (not Leslie's), so I am off to see if they have what I am looking for.....

14. Back To Top    #14

Found the R-0001 & 0002. Just did the FC test and boy are those reds hard to distinguish--I suppose it will get easier the more I use it. It read somewhere between the 7.5 and 10 ppm. Then I did the FAS-DPD just to see how close they'd be, and that read 9 ppm FC, so not too bad. I know that's a little higher than I need to be with the FC but I like to keep it higher when the weather is hot & sunny, rather than risk going below 5 ppm. Thanks again everyone!

15. Back To Top    #15

Found the R-0001 & 0002. Just did the FC test and boy are those reds hard to distinguish--I suppose it will get easier the more I use it. It read somewhere between the 7.5 and 10 ppm. Then I did the FAS-DPD just to see how close they'd be, and that read 9 ppm FC, so not too bad. I know that's a little higher than I need to be with the FC but I like to keep it higher when the weather is hot & sunny, rather than risk going below 5 ppm. Thanks again everyone!
    You can try different colors of construction paper as a background to see if any sharpen up the differences on the comparator block. I know that if I stand in the shade and hold the comparator block up to a bright blue sky, I get pretty good color differences. My concrete color also works pretty good too. You can just grab some construction paper and play with the comparator block, no need to have an actual test sample in the tube.

Matt

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Interesting idea with the construction paper. Blues or greens might sharpen the differences. That's what I do when I set up an inspection camera. Red light and either blue or green shades of filter.