Question about water slide.

Jul 15, 2015
Rochester NY
Hi everyone,

I once had a pool repairman tell me that running my pool slide would significantly cool the water. I have a wild ride waterslide, the water used to supply it comes directly from the pool from a switch that I have that allows the water to either come out of the inlet or it can be directed to come out of the slide. So, its not hose water or anything like that.

I've never understood why this would cool the water, the drop from the slide to the pool is maybe a few inches or so, so the splash isn't that big. I love to run it but I am always afraid that it will cool off my water.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

I think the pool repairman was operating on the fact that evaporation cools the water, however a thin sheet of water in contact with a hot slide is not going to cool the water much at all. If you had a fountain that shot a lot of water up into the air that would give you significant cooling. Evaporative cooling is most effective with a mist of water shot high into the air. The mist releases heat as it drops back into the pool.

I have a very large slide/waterfall feature that is fed with a dedicated 1.5hp pump, which will drop my pool water temperature by 2°F when I run it in Houston summer weather for a few hours. However, my pool loses around 6°F overnight, so the 2° isn't really significant.

And this is for my very large slide/waterfall. For the slide you describe, I cannot imagine that would be any meaningful temperature impact by running it.

Like the famous informerical says: "Set it and forget it!" Enjoy your waterfall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.