Is this test kit ok?

Jul 29, 2015
Portville, NY
Hi! I have been trying to clear up my cloudy pool for about a week and a half now. I wish I had found this site sooner! Anyways, the pool turned green after a week of nothing but rain. I have been adding the hth shock packets and now have very cloudy water. After reading all the pool school articles, I now know that my test kit isn't up to par. I don't really have $60 to spend on a taylor kit right now, and with our swimming season ending in about a month, it doesn't make sense to get it this year anyways. So, on to my question... will this test work? It says it tests for FC.. any thoughts?

Welcome to TFP!

No, I'm sorry to say it is not sufficiently accurate (it's an OTO color match test) nor does it test high enough levels of chlorine to follow our methods. Additionally, it does not include a test for CYA which is a must.

You need a FAS-DPD test kit. The TF100 at TFTestkits.net is the most cost effective way to purchase a kit that has all the tests you need including it.

Ok. Thank you! I guess I will have to figure out a way to get a good kit. Is it safe for my kids to swim in the cloudy water? There are cream/yellowish particles floating around in the water.. I'm assuming its dead algea from shocking with the hth super shock packets. I don't have a vacuum, so I've just been stirring it all up off the bottom and have the pump running constantly. Its cleared up a lot. We can (faintly) see the bottom of the pool. I did check the total chlorine (over 5-my kit doesn't go higher) and ph was 7.8.... but I've read this could be inaccurate with the chlorine so high?

Are you cleaning your cartridges as needed?
Stop adding bags'o'anything in your pool- that's contributing to your problems I'm sure. Your CYA may be way too high for the amount of chlorine you've got.
Start using liquid chlorine (aka bleach) to chlorinate your pool. Read the SLAM procedure in pool school. Consider water replacement if you can.
If you can't see the bottom of the pool, it is not safe to swim in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.