Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this test kit ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this test kit ok?

Hi! I have been trying to clear up my cloudy pool for about a week and a half now. I wish I had found this site sooner! Anyways, the pool turned green after a week of nothing but rain. I have been adding the hth shock packets and now have very cloudy water. After reading all the pool school articles, I now know that my test kit isn't up to par. I don't really have $60 to spend on a taylor kit right now, and with our swimming season ending in about a month, it doesn't make sense to get it this year anyways. So, on to my question... will this test work? It says it tests for FC.. any thoughts?
    Summer Escapes 16', 4.5k, round pop up pool. Cartridge filters, pump is the basic one that came with pool, new this year

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this test kit ok?

Welcome to TFP!

No, I'm sorry to say it is not sufficiently accurate (it's an OTO color match test) nor does it test high enough levels of chlorine to follow our methods. Additionally, it does not include a test for CYA which is a must.

You need a FAS-DPD test kit. The TF100 at TFTestkits.net is the most cost effective way to purchase a kit that has all the tests you need including it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok. Thank you! I guess I will have to figure out a way to get a good kit. Is it safe for my kids to swim in the cloudy water? There are cream/yellowish particles floating around in the water.. I'm assuming its dead algea from shocking with the hth super shock packets. I don't have a vacuum, so I've just been stirring it all up off the bottom and have the pump running constantly. Its cleared up a lot. We can (faintly) see the bottom of the pool. I did check the total chlorine (over 5-my kit doesn't go higher) and ph was 7.8.... but I've read this could be inaccurate with the chlorine so high?
    Summer Escapes 16', 4.5k, round pop up pool. Cartridge filters, pump is the basic one that came with pool, new this year

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you cleaning your cartridges as needed?
    Stop adding bags'o'anything in your pool- that's contributing to your problems I'm sure. Your CYA may be way too high for the amount of chlorine you've got.
    Start using liquid chlorine (aka bleach) to chlorinate your pool. Read the SLAM procedure in pool school. Consider water replacement if you can.
    If you can't see the bottom of the pool, it is not safe to swim in.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

It is safe to swim when
    PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
    Chlorine is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA
    on the Chlorine CYA Chart
    Water is clear enough to see the bottom and the swimmers
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach