New Guy Needing Help!

Jul 29, 2015
Nashville, TN
This is my first post. I tried filling out a profile but the site won't let me on my phone.

Either way, Here is my pool info and question.....

I moved into a house 5 years ago with an old pool (at least 23 years old) and have always had trouble keeping the water clear. Honestly I do not know if my pool is gunite or concrete. If someone could tell me how to know I would appreciate it. The pool is white and has had multiple places where the plaster has come off over the years. When we moved in I hired someone to open the pool. He told me to keep 3 tabs in each skimmer and 3 bags of shock a week and I would be fine. But it has not been fine. It is constantly turning green and we spend more time working on it than swimming.

My main question is what kind of test kit do I need? I have used Aquacheck strips but I think a better kit might be needed. Can someone suggest a good kit to use?

Also, In what order do I test and adjust?

My pool is 18x36 IG Approx. 29k volume in Tennessee.

Hi, welcome to TFP! The important thing to know is that you have a plaster finish pool. Most of the time the structure is gunite, but even if it was concrete the method of pool care would be the same.

We recommend a high quality FAS/DPD test kit such as a Taylor K2006 or TF 100 . Either of these kits will allow you to test the higher levels of chlorine needed to complete the SLAM process . The TF 100 has larger quantities of the reagents you use most, thus is the better value for the money.

Doesn't matter what order you perform the tests. If pH is over 7.8 or below 6.8 adjust that first. Otherwise the results determine what is the more critical element to adjust. Once you get your kit posts the results and we will help you determine what to adjust first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.