Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool staying green after adding Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool staying green after adding Chlorine

Dear Alegis... Not sure of username... But read your problems.. Re: adding jugs of chlorine... & testing water with strips... You might want to check if you have phosphates... Eat up your chlorine.. & your pool becomes a breeding ground for algae... I have a salt system... But prior to changing it.. I had chlorine pool.. I was spending so much money... & of course the pool stores DONT CHECK for phosphates... I tired everything... Thank God.. The Cust. serv of mfg of salt system schooled me ... I was putting irrigation water to fill pool & that was the reason my pool was not generated chlorine... When going to pool store... Have the regular testing & always ask to test for phosphates... Cause even pesticides could create phosphates & so many other things.. Good Luck.. & God Bless

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool staying green after adding Chlorine

Welcome to TFP!

I'm sorry to say it's time for you to spend a little time in Pool School.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Phosphates and nitrates are essential nutrients for algae growth. So reducing phosphates is just ONE WAY of slowing down algae growth. Algaecides such as Polyquat 60 and copper also inhibit algae growth but some of these approaches have side effects (copper can stain pool surfaces, especially plaster, and turn blond hair greenish).

However, chlorine alone can also prevent algae growth, BUT one has to maintain at least the minimum FC/CYA ratio to do so. So another approach that avoids the use of phosphate removers, algaecides, clarifiers, flocculants, enzymes, regular shocking, etc. is to use chlorine alone to prevent algae growth in pools. Read the Pool School to learn more about how to manage your pool in this way.

The bottom line is that phosphates did NOT prevent your saltwater chlorine generator from generating chlorine. It was generating chlorine, but that chlorine was being consumed by algae growth (even if nascent and not yet visible) because you hadn't killed it all off in a SLAM and then MAINTAINED the appropriate FC/CYA level as specified in the Chlorine / CYA Chart.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by saltchlorgirl View Post
    Dear Alegis... Not sure of username... But read your problems.. Re: adding jugs of chlorine... & testing water with strips... You might want to check if you have phosphates... Eat up your chlorine.. & your pool becomes a breeding ground for algae... I have a salt system... But prior to changing it.. I had chlorine pool.. I was spending so much money... & of course the pool stores DONT CHECK for phosphates... I tired everything... Thank God.. The Cust. serv of mfg of salt system schooled me ... I was putting irrigation water to fill pool & that was the reason my pool was not generated chlorine... When going to pool store... Have the regular testing & always ask to test for phosphates... Cause even pesticides could create phosphates & so many other things.. Good Luck.. & God Bless
    It's very nice of you to want to help someone here. But to clear up some confusion you may have:
    Phosphates aren't a problem if you're keeping enough chlorine in your water so that you don't have algae. If algae eats phosphates, just don't let algae live in your pool!

You still have a "chlorine pool" as the salt water generator (SWG) is making your chlorine for you. Same stuff, honest. If you were spending too much at the pool store it was because you didn't know what was needed and what wasn't. Of course pool stores want you to spend money...so they often find non-problems to fix or make worse problems you may have.

Our advice is always to have the appropriate pool test kit and rely on your own quality of tests, assured that you have your own best interests in mind. We tout the Taylor K-2006 (none other Taylor#) or the TFTestkits.net TF-100 test kit. The cost of the kit is almost immediately recouped by NOT having to buy potions and lotions at the pool store.

Everyone should avoid pesticides and fertilizers getting into their pools.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain