new pool - out of level and small crack

allforthekids

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2015
Dallas, Texas
First post to the site and looking for feedback with some things discovered on new pool. Just had a pool built and when i filled it up discovered that it was out of level and just last week discovered a small crack. My feeling is this is a red flag and the beginning of a problematic pool. Looking for some advice on what i should expect from my pool contractor. I hired a reputable pool company and paid very good money as i wanted a well built pool.

1. pool level - slightly over 2" out from the lowest to the highest water level. As of yet the pool company has not been able to figure out (or told me) if it floated or was "shot"...out of level. Being in construction i have an understanding of things but not sure either. There are sides of the pool that are fairly level and some that are not so level. I have quite a few straight sides as it is a very a-typical shape.

2. crack - my bigger concern is the crack. It is in a corner right at the edge of the weeping wall/grotto and the crack continues up thru the masonry above ground. The pool contractor had divers check and verified it was "pulling a little bit of dye". They treated it and are monitoring.

I would say that I am working thru this with the pool subcontractor, just looking for any input from professionals/experts in this industry.

Let me know what other info I can provide.

Welcome to TFP!

I'm afraid that unless I'm missing something, isn't much to be done about leveling it. Not good, but I'm not sure I have any pearls of wisdom for you on this. Wish you the best of luck. Just curious, how are they "treating" the crack?

It sounds like inadequate installation to me.

There isnt enough ground water in Dallas area now to float the pool out of level.
Either it was installed out of level, or the base material under the pool shifted, which is on the PB because it wasnt compacted adequately.

There aren't a lot of pool installer on the site but maybe are a few. Maybe one will chime in. Most of us are homeowners with a pool just like yourself.

If you have any pics to post, that may well be helpful.

Thanks for the input. I am out of town right now and don't have any really good photos but i attached the concept image. Bare with me...am little on the less technical side and not sure if this image can even be viewed well or if i did this right. The concept image it pretty much it except the weeping wall/grotto were shifted around along the end (left side of image) of the pool. Will get some photos up soon.

Pool__concept.jpg

Ok I am at a loss we need pictures.

You have a gunite pool, just completed that is 2" out of level? Your title is 2" off?

Gunite pools are leveled 3 times (well 4 ) 1st at steel installation, 2nd at gunite shoot and third at tiling. They also check elevations when they excavate. Its the job of the tile crew to do the final leveling of a gunite pool.

Do you have plans and engineering drawings for the pool and grotto?

Was there a building inspector? Is this filled soil or virgin dirt?

Did they build a foundation for the weeping wall? Is there more steel under the weeping wall -- that area may require more steel because its in the deep end anyway. Do you have pictures of the pool at the steel stage?

Frankly if it was me I would have a pool engineer look at it -- your crack is located in the area of greatest stress.

Read your contract, then go to the contractors board and find out what pages of the building code apply to pools, then read that.

Their is some provision for out of level, after all nothing is perfect. But IMO 2" is way out of spec. And the crack tells me there is a structural issue behind it. Like maybe someone forgot the rebar in that section. At the minimum, the entire section needs to be hammered out, inspected and filled, not patched.

And Gwegan in right on point. I'd pay the money to get an independent pool engineer out there for a look and a report.

There is a 2"+ difference in water level...from the top of the tile to the water. I attached a diagram for those interested in the details. Hope you can read it. I think the water level issue can be corrected without major reconstruction but it will be some work. I will have to settle for less than ideal coping and tile situations but other than than that it would be major rework.

waterlevels.jpg

I do have plans but unfortunately engineered plans are not required for permitting. There was an inspector but they really focus on the electrical...grounding. They don't really get into the structural. There was rebar in that corner whether it was what was needed for that area and/or part of the reason for the cracking, I will need a engineer to tell me. I actually stopped the gunite subcontractor as they were beginning the work because the rebar in the pool was not per the contract. They actually had to leave and came back another day.

The pool was dug and installed on native soil.

The weeping wall and grotto very well could be the cause of the cracking. I asked about piers/additional foundation/rebar beforehand because i felt like it was a lot of weight, but they said it would be fine. I had even suggested a double matt of rebar. They didn't really do anything special for the foundation of the grotto or weeping wall. Probably 18" of gunite with rebar.

This corner at the bench is where the crack is appearing.

gunite corner.jpg

I will get a pick of the pool steel in another post.

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 70
Here are some shots of the rebar. The bench and the weeping wall/Grotto area. They have not proposed anything yet to correct the levelness issue. In the previous post ...on the diagram with the water level differences...i somewhat clouded where the weeping wall/grotto are located and noted also where the cracking was. It isn't the best diagram and may be difficult to read.

The waterfall ends right at the corner where the crack is located.

rebar1.jpg
rebar2.jpg
rebar3.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With your pictures I can't really tell that much.

So first I'm not an engineer. However to my eye you are missing some rebar that is generally specified in pools in California. You don't have a well defined rebar piece making up your bond beam -- the top of your wall. I would also expect a larger footing and deeper footing for your wall structure -- the pool wall just sees that as additional weight. Generally (and I can't see this) you should have increased density in the rebar structure under structures like a waterfall or wall grotto. Look at this thread for a good , not fantastic, but good rebar job Owner / Builder Build - Las Vegas..Pics and Prices Inside! - Page 2 Note the double lines of rebar surrounding the pool and the wall that has extra support. I don' see your bond beam done that way. The Picture in the thread above meet the minimum standard for rebar -- on bond beams many builders do more hefty structure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.