Low FC and rising CYA - help! Is there any options?

Mar 19, 2015
Anaheim/CA
Hi everyone,
Thank you in advance for all the helpful advice. :D I’ve been doing lots of reading and decided I should ask the trusted forum :flower: for some advice on concerns I have regarding my pool readings and if i have any options...

So here goes: I have some changes in my FC and CYA levels.

Heres some info:
23k in ground pool
Located in So Cal (hot,sunny,random rain)
Water temp: 70-75
FC: 1
pH: 7.5
TA: 150
CYA: 60

I’ve been bringing up my FC levels to at least 5, but it drops again the next time I check it. Its as if I can’t keep chlorine in pool? The tablets i use have Trichlor/Dichlor in them. I notice that my CYA previously was 50. Recently it has gone up to 60.

My concerns::confused:
What can I do to keep FC up?
My CYA is slowly climbing. I replaced the water in the pool about a year ago. Do I need to be concerned with the CYA:60 reading? I do add water to the pool as needed. Is lowering CYA only done through changing the water? What number should be cause for alarm?
The water is clear- I’ve been diligent to try to make sure nothing will start to grow in pool by testing my levels… but I just don’t understand what to do next. HELP!? :confused:

I appreciate any help you all can provide. Thanks again. :D

You probably have some low level algae growth consuming your chlorine and you are barely keeping up. Your choice to use tablets will increase your CYA levels to the point to where your chlorine will be ineffective.

At this point, you need to switch to bleach or invest in a SWG in order to keep you water properly sanitized. A CYA level of 60 is not unmanageable but you don't want it any higher and yes, you are correct, the only way to lower CYA is to drain water and refill.

Ok, so out with the chlorine floater tabs... thanks! But constantly adding bleach, is that the norm?Is it because its summer? Sun? Sadly didnt encounter issue like this until now :(

- - - Updated - - -

If I remove the floater tabs, with my FC not staying up... won't that be worse? Is there chlorine tabs without the trichlor/dichlor that adds cya? Or is that wishful thinking...

Ok, so out with the chlorine floater tabs... thanks! But constantly adding bleach, is that the norm?Is it because its summer? Sun? Sadly didnt encounter issue like this until now :(

- - - Updated - - -

If I remove the floater tabs, with my FC not staying up... won't that be worse? Is there chlorine tabs without the trichlor/dichlor that adds cya? Or is that wishful thinking...
Very normal. With a pool your size it would be reasonable to add 1/3 to 1/2 gallon of 8.25% bleach per day. Daily additions are the norm if you want keep your pool trouble free. ;) Unfortunately, the only other solid form of chlorine you could probably use would be calcium hypochlorite but then your CH would build up. You don't want that either.

Good to know - about the daily adding of bleach being normal. I feel that the pool should have some type of chlorine floater...but very true, I dont want my CH going up. Yet I don't want my CYA to continue to climb, with the current pucks.

The idea of draining and starting over...yikes! :(

So with the CYA:60 being higher than the suggested 30-50 reading, maybe a partial drain? To get the CYA under control? And remove pucks... Does that sound like a good plan of action?

You can be just fine with that CYA level! Get rid of the pucks ASAP so it doesn't get higher. Chlorine seems to be expensive, but never as much as pool store chemicals! Get that FC above target and NEVER below minimum and you are golden!

Be a smart shopper of chlorine. Every place I shop, I check prices vs strength, and always a mindful eye on age. Look for codes on the bottle. I just bought 8.25% bleach today at Target with a date code of 15206. That is the 206th day of 2015. It is less than a week old. I also get great deals at Menard's sometimes. $1.99/gal for 12.5%!!! Check those date codes, though!

- - - Updated - - -

Whoops, just noticed your FC was REALLY low. Do you know how to slam?

Thank you :D I really appreciate all the advice. Great tip about the bleach date codes, will keep eye out. And remove those darned pucks :-? Now if only there would be a simpler solution or process to lower CYA...

Thanks again :D

- - - Updated - - -

I have read the slam section... sounds horribly confusing. So based on the low to nonexistent FC, should I slam? Looks like I would still have to replace water before I start.. did I read that correctly?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pucks have to go yesterday. They add stuff to your water. ONE day they will find a way to make them chlorine but until then it is bleach all the way!

Knowing you are in CA I wonder if you would be better off just riding the CYA level. It is up to you.

It will take less bleach (FC) if your CYA was lower just to give you even more to think about.

I add about 7 cups a day of chlorine (11%). Depending on the weather.

I do keep my CYA a little lower so I can use pucks on the weekends we are not home. It is all about knowing what they do to your pool.

So-----------

-lower CYA by draining IF you can.
-If not than will use more bleach but doable at your level.
-Swim and have fun!

Kim

Being in SoCal, the solution to drain (even partial) may not be an option. (sigh) Now what? :confused:
I will remove the pucks as recommended as it is adding CYA to the pool.
But my question is this, how will chlorine be added in meantime, other than my bleach additions... or dont worry about that? Especially that my FC:1...I worry about not having any chlorine? But worry more about growing CYA :(
What to do with this bucket of pucks? Any innovative ideas?
Thanks again :D

how will chlorine be added in meantime, other than my bleach additions... or dont worry about that? Especially that my FC:1...I worry about not having any chlorine?

I feel all the bleach on daily basis seems a lot,

What kind of answer are you looking for? When dealing with liquid chlorine (bleach), it's an everyday event. I add one quart everyday of no less than 12.5%. It's either that or deal with the latent consequences of using the pucks.

I think most of the posters have covered your issues well.

1. Stop using solid chlorine products and your CYA will stabilize. It won't go down much unless your replace water, but it won't go up either.

2. Add liquid chlorine every day. Bleach or higher % chlorinating liquid, your choice. You have to say above the minimum for Your current CYA level all the time.

3. Don't miss a day of chlorinating your pool. No,chlorine = allowing algae a foothold in your pool. A SLAM at 60 CYA takes massive amounts of chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.