Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine and Vitamin C - No Effect on Stain - What Next?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine and Vitamin C - No Effect on Stain - What Next?

I got some several small stains on the steps which resemble the bigger ones I have failed to get rid of at the deep end.

1) Bleach poured on stain did nothing (not organic?)

2) Vitamin C tablet laid on stain did nothing (not metallic?)

3) Vitamin C rubbed on stain did nothing (not metallic?)

4) Stain is dark brown, and you cannot feel any difference in texture at stain (not calcium deposit?)

I have a lot of berries that drop into the pool from nearby trees. I'm thinking the pigment in these berries may be doing this, but I don't know how you would get rid of that.

I don't know what to try next. Should I try Jack's Magic Stain iD Kit?

Michael
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine and Vitamin C - No Effect on Stain - What Next?

Normally you would want to use a trichlor puck and not liquid bleach. The liquid dispersed too rapidly whereas the trichlor puck is both a concentrated source of chlorine AND acidic enough to mildly etch the plaster in that spot allowing the chlorine to penetrate better. I would retest with a trichlor puck if you have one on hand.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
    1) Bleach poured on stain did nothing (not organic?)
    The contact time for bleach won't be strong enough or long enough. If you are suspecting an organic stain, try a trichlor puck.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

I actually have had pretty good success with liquid bleach removing organic stains on the shallow end of the pool, and on steps, so I guess it works sometimes. I'll try the chlorine puck tomorrow.

Thanks for the input!

Michael
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

5. Back To Top    #5

I tried the trichlor puck. I rubbed it on the stain several times, and left the puck over the stain for 20 minutes. It had little, if any, effect. This thing is stubborn!
    Michael

6. Back To Top    #6

I tried another treatment with the trichlor puck, rubbing it on the stain, and then covering it with the puck for 15 minutes. Didn't touch it.

I am open to ideas on what to try next.

Michael
    Michael

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

We had a similar post not too long ago. If it is not organic and not inorganic, there is nothing left.
    I'm thinking the pigment in these berries may be doing this, but I don't know how you would get rid of that.
    That's an organic stain.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    We had a similar post not too long ago. If it is not organic and not inorganic, there is nothing left. That's an organic stain.
    If it is organic, and it doesn't respond to trichlor, what would be an alternative treatment?
    Michael

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Well, there is no logical reason for it not to respond but since it is not, you can try elevating the FC to double it's normal level for at least 10 days and see if that doesn't lighten it.

Of course, that is still assuming it's organic. It is one or the other for sure.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Dave, thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try after I get my CYA down with water changes this week.
    Michael

11. Back To Top    #11

Another thought. If the stain does not respond to trichlor, and it doesn't respond to ascorbic acid, doesn't that mean it could be copper? My understanding is ascorbic acid will not only not remove a copper stain, but can darken a copper stain. It's already dark, so maybe that's it.
    Michael

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
    Another thought. If the stain does not respond to trichlor, and it doesn't respond to ascorbic acid, doesn't that mean it could be copper? My understanding is ascorbic acid will not only not remove a copper stain, but can darken a copper stain. It's already dark, so maybe that's it.
    Citric acid will dissolve copper better than ascorbic acid. You can purchase citric acid in some organic food stores under the name sour salt.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Citric acid will dissolve copper better than ascorbic acid. You can purchase citric acid in some organic food stores under the name sour salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I appreciate the idea. I have a lemon tree next to the pool, with the most sour acidic lemons I have ever tasted. Maybe I can use that (kidding).
    Michael