Swimming with cya granules?

Jun 1, 2015
Massillon, OH
Hi,
This is my first pool so I'm learning as I read on here.

i have a 16x32x52 ultra frame and just filled it a week ago. I've been adding my liquid chlorine every day and decided to add some granular cya today. I have a new heater in line and didn't want to add to my skimmer for fear of too much acid through the heat exchanger.

The bottle says I can sprinkle around the pool so I did a pound of it around the pool. Long story short I swam with it all day trying to mix it in and it just moves around the bottom and won't dissolve...

my 3 year old and 8 month baby old want to use the pool because the weather is beautiful. Is it safe for them to swim and drink some water with the cya granules moving around in the water? The bottle doesn't say anything about not using the pool after distributing the granuals. I read the sock thing on here after the fact :(

thoughts?

thanks,
Joe

They're just sitting on the floor, right? They aren't floating? If so, they're no more dangerous than tracked-in sand on the floor of the pool. I think people stirring them around a little would be beneficial, lest they leave freckles on the liner where they sat.

As an aside... the heater is after the filter (or should be) so pouring the stuff down the skimmer would have just loaded the filter. The filter would keep the granules out of the heater. It;'s not too late to vacuum the granules up into the filter if you have the setup.

That is how I put my CYA in before I found TFP. Found no adverse effects doing it that way. It did brush it all around and made sure it was pretty evenly distributed around the floor of the pool. It took about three days to dissolve or get sucked into the filter. Either way it's in the water for months now.

Thanks for the responses! I went in the pool this morning and all of the cya granuals were dissolved!

My heater is downstream from the filter. So putting the granuals in the skimmer is ok for the heater? I would think that acid in the filter wouldn't be good for the heater as the granuals dissolve and the acid water passes through it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.