Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swimming with cya granules?

1. Back To Top    #1

Swimming with cya granules?

Hi,
    This is my first pool so I'm learning as I read on here.

i have a 16x32x52 ultra frame and just filled it a week ago. I've been adding my liquid chlorine every day and decided to add some granular cya today. I have a new heater in line and didn't want to add to my skimmer for fear of too much acid through the heat exchanger.

The bottle says I can sprinkle around the pool so I did a pound of it around the pool. Long story short I swam with it all day trying to mix it in and it just moves around the bottom and won't dissolve...

my 3 year old and 8 month baby old want to use the pool because the weather is beautiful. Is it safe for them to swim and drink some water with the cya granules moving around in the water? The bottle doesn't say anything about not using the pool after distributing the granuals. I read the sock thing on here after the fact

thoughts?

thanks,
    Joe

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swimming with cya granules?

They're just sitting on the floor, right? They aren't floating? If so, they're no more dangerous than tracked-in sand on the floor of the pool. I think people stirring them around a little would be beneficial, lest they leave freckles on the liner where they sat.

As an aside... the heater is after the filter (or should be) so pouring the stuff down the skimmer would have just loaded the filter. The filter would keep the granules out of the heater. It;'s not too late to vacuum the granules up into the filter if you have the setup.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

That is how I put my CYA in before I found TFP. Found no adverse effects doing it that way. It did brush it all around and made sure it was pretty evenly distributed around the floor of the pool. It took about three days to dissolve or get sucked into the filter. Either way it's in the water for months now.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Leaving those granules on the bottom risks discoloring your liner. Stuff is highly acidic.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Good thing to note!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses! I went in the pool this morning and all of the cya granuals were dissolved!

My heater is downstream from the filter. So putting the granuals in the skimmer is ok for the heater? I would think that acid in the filter wouldn't be good for the heater as the granuals dissolve and the acid water passes through it.