SLAM over (I hope) Final test results, now what

Jun 8, 2015
Lexington, NC
Pool is finally clear, CC is <.5 (VERY slight tinge of pink). OCLT has been consistently very low, and I will test tonight to make sure it's still low.

I went ahead and tested everything else

PH 7.5
CH 225
TA 50
CYA 39

So PH and CYA are about perfect. CH a little low, and TA fairly low. Add baking soda is no problem... I've got most of a 13.5lb bag left, and poolmath says 208 oz which is about 13lb so sounds like I'll just throw that in.

To add hardness is the best thing to just get some hardness up from WalMart, or is there a better generic.. I don't remember seeing Calcium Chloride anywhere...

What else now?

Assuming you pass the OCLT, :splash:

It's the wrong time of year to buy ice melt, so you can buy the hardness increaser at Walmart, or chlorinate for a few weeks with Cal-hypo. In your pool, every pound of Cal-hypo 73% adds 2 ppm CH. So a 25 pound bucket will get CH up and handle your chlorination needs for about a month.

Just be aware that adding any of the Calcium products can cause cloudiness. So don't panic if it does. It doesn't mean another algae bloom!

Congrats!

Don't raise your TA above 70. Monitor your PH for a few weeks and if it is stable then leave TA alone.

What is the CH in your fill water? If it is 200 or more then don't add CH either. Evaporation will slowly raise your CH.

Keep your PH between 7.2 and 7.8, mid 7s is best. Keep your FC at target for your CYA and don't let it drop below minimum, ever. Chlorine CYA Chart

How are you testing to get a CYA of 39? Just curious.... ?

For the CH you can buy the Hardness Increaser or use some CalHypo if you've got it or its cheaper than the Hardness Increaser. It will add calcium along with the chlorine. You can use Pool Math to determine how much it would take so that you don't overshoot too much.

Well my water level was just above the 40 mark on the cylinder.. I just went with 39...
How are you testing to get a CYA of 39? Just curious.... ?

For the CH you can buy the Hardness Increaser or use some CalHypo if you've got it or its cheaper than the Hardness Increaser. It will add calcium along with the chlorine. You can use Pool Math to determine how much it would take so that you don't overshoot too much.

have you been doing anything to manage your pH? if its holding steady at 7.5, I wouldn't touch your TA. if your pool is happy with TA of 50 and keeping your pH steady, then count yourself lucky and don't mess with it :)

CH is a bit low, but not sure I would mess with it right now. if you want to raise it buy ice melt, check out pool school which says which one to buy. you wont be able to buy it in store at home depot, etc...BUT...you can order online at anytime of year and have it shipped to the store for free.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really think the SLAM was over a while back, there was just lots of stuff suspended in the water.

When we got back from our last vacation, the water was crystal clear but there was lots of fallout on the pool floor.. didn't seem like algae, more like dirt/sand. I've been running the aquabot everyday, and now it's clear!

10' down, looking pretty good!
20150731_181301.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.