High salt

Jul 28, 2015
frost, tx
My SWG and pool have been open for less than a month. Using the test strips that came with the SWG and following the pool math the pool and the generator have been fairly routine until last week. I got a low salt reading and noticed a buildup on the plates of the SWG. I cleaned them as directed in the manual and when I put it back into operation I got a high salt reading even though I did not add salt. My current readings are as follows: FC 0.5, pH 7.2, TA 120, and CH 100. I have partially drained and refilled the pool three times and each time I got the same result. After draining again yesterday and refilling and filtering I turned the SWG on and it ran for about 2 hours and then decided that the salt level was too high again. I can't afford to buy another SWG and I ordered this one from WalMart online. Feeling desperate and seriously considering going back to using chemicals as bad as I hate to. Help.

First off, get some liquid chlorine in there stat, before you have algae developing into a second problem.

Then turn the SWG on and collect some water from immediately out of the return and test for chlorine. And compare that to the open pool water chlorine. Obviously if the water from the return is higher in chlorine than the rest of the pool it's making chlorine.

What is your salt test reading? How much salt have you added to the pool in pounds? How large is your pool?

Do you have CYA <stabilizer> in your water yet?

I'm new here but you definitely need to get your FC up. My SWG was giving me a high salt reading from day one once I installed it when my salt level was 3000 ppm. An entire week now it's been off today I drained my pool and refilled it salt level at 3250ppm and SWG works fine now. I contacted Intexcorp the sent me a new titanium electrolyte but haven't installed it because the SWG seems to me ok for now.

Replace your filter that will do the trick

First off, get some liquid chlorine in there stat, before you have algae developing into a second problem.

Then turn the SWG on and collect some water from immediately out of the return and test for chlorine. And compare that to the open pool water chlorine. Obviously if the water from the return is higher in chlorine than the rest of the pool it's making chlorine.

What is your salt test reading? How much salt have you added to the pool in pounds? How large is your pool?

Do you have CYA <stabilizer> in your water yet?

the pool is 9 x 18 x 52 and the book required 115 lbs for the 4545 gal of water it has been stabilized and I have been regulating the chlorine. these amounts were taken after the SWG ran for 2 hours and then shut off. it has been chlorinated since the test. my question is how do I get the SWG to run properly so that i can quit having to use chlorine daily and let the pump actually make it's own the way it is designed to do

I have maintained a pool for many years and decided to try the saltwater this year as I was told they are less upkeep. I'm strictly running on written instructions and have no clue what I am doing with the whole saltwater thing. I added the amount of salt that the book suggested for the size pool I have. I have not added anymore salt only added more fresh water when it stated the salt was high. I will however test the water coming out of the return. I am 2 hours away from the nearest pool company but if I can't get this figured out I will be making a special trip to see if they can help. I'm not real sure how to test for the exact salt reading but I'm willing to learn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.