Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium on SWG cell in 3 days?!?!?!?

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium on SWG cell in 3 days?!?!?!?

Dirty SWG Cell: http://s6.postimg.org/jd4jdznj5/20150728_194359a.jpg

I just cleaned it 3 days ago!!!! SWG seems to be running okay - we can smell a little chlorine smell when it's running (is that normal?).
    Clean SWG Cell: http://s6.postimg.org/o9865onoh/20150725_112338a.jpg

CH is reading somewhere between 100 and 250: http://s6.postimg.org/m5xqy0nvl/20150728_194507a.jpg

What gives?!?!?!?
    ~*~Tina~*~
    Intex 15' x15'x 42" Metal Frame Swimming Pool with Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation); 4,646.25 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Calcium on SWG cell in 3 days?!?!?!?

I'm missing the part where you describe the issue.

3. Back To Top    #3

Should there be that much build up on it 3 days time?

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    I'm missing the part where you describe the issue.
    ~*~Tina~*~
    Intex 15' x15'x 42" Metal Frame Swimming Pool with Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation); 4,646.25 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

It's possible but it most likely a chemistry issue. As I'm sure you are aware..those strips are no good. I would guess your pH and TA are way too high which is causing the scaling. You really need a reliable test kit to know for sure.

PS - Looks like the FC is too low as well.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm having the same problem with calcium buildup on my Intex SWG. we've only had the pool up not quite 2 weeks, got low salt error & low & behold, the plates and copper blocks coated in calcium. Used vinager to clean it yesterday. Checked it today after normal run time and the calcium is already coating everything again. Don't have my numbers handy but I do recall my TA is high. I'm thinking it's our well water that's loaded with calcium. Uggggg.
    Intex Rectangular AG Ultra Frame Pool Set, 24' x 12' x 52" (8403 gal, well water)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System model number: 28663EG/54601EG
    Intex sand filter pump, 120V 1,600gph with GFCI
    Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

Whatever you do, do NOT add more salt thinking it is truly a "low salt" issue! Been there, done that...

Did the vinegar work well? I used diluted muriatic acid and water after manually brushing off what I could with a toothbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by Idigress View Post
    I'm having the same problem with calcium buildup on my Intex SWG. we've only had the pool up not quite 2 weeks, got low salt error & low & behold, the plates and copper blocks coated in calcium. Used vinager to clean it yesterday. Checked it today after normal run time and the calcium is already coating everything again. Don't have my numbers handy but I do recall my TA is high. I'm thinking it's our well water that's loaded with calcium. Uggggg.
    ~*~Tina~*~