FAST CYA Dissolving method

Magus

May 23, 2014
Ann Arbor Michigan
I am trying to balance my pool as well as keeping the chlorine that I have IN the pool. Today I added CYA...a.k.a stabilizer. being that I did not have a way to hang it off in the jets of the return...I figured I would just sit it in a bucket and let it dissolve over a week ...well that would give the weather time to suck the chlorine out.

Long sorry short, I put 4lb of CYA in a home depot bucket got my drill and put a paint mixing paddle on it. I was able to dissolve 7 lbs of CYA in a matter of 45 min.

Just thought I would share this finding

I'm not sure how that will actually work, if it will speed up the process?

If you're in such a heck-fire hurry you could always just buy the liquid (about double the price). I think it will appear in the test in a day.

Actually...I went pretty fast. You put water in the bucket...mix for about 5 min...dump that saturated water into the skimmer...put fresh water in the remaining CYA at the bottom...mix with drill...repeat. I was just trying to figure out how to keep my Chlorine in the pool and not have the sun suck it up and keeping the pool balanced....

Note: I just started up my pool within the past 4 days due to finishing a restoration.

It also works to just knead a sock full of it. Work the sock a bit, dip it into the pool to rinse/re-saturate with pool water and knead it some more. If I do that for 5 min the sock is pretty much empty.

Actually...I went pretty fast. You put water in the bucket...mix for about 5 min...dump that saturated water into the skimmer...put fresh water in the remaining CYA at the bottom...mix with drill...repeat. I was just trying to figure out how to keep my Chlorine in the pool and not have the sun suck it up and keeping the pool balanced....

Note: I just started up my pool within the past 4 days due to finishing a restoration.
Interesting - how many times do you think you refilled the bucket with water during the process? If it took about 5 minutes per round and you were at it for 45 minutes, that suggests about 45 gallons of water.

I've read previous threads where people tried (and failed) to dissolve CYA in a 5 gallon bucket, even using very hot water. You seem to have found that it will dissolve, but that you need about ten times as much water as was reported in those other attempts. Thank you for reporting your findings!

Even if you get it all dissolved, it does not seem to show up on the test any faster. It's frustrating but I think we all have to wait a few days to measure granular CYA.

The Liquid measures instantly, but it costs more than twice as much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.