Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAST CYA Dissolving method

1. Back To Top    #1

FAST CYA Dissolving method

I am trying to balance my pool as well as keeping the chlorine that I have IN the pool. Today I added CYA...a.k.a stabilizer. being that I did not have a way to hang it off in the jets of the return...I figured I would just sit it in a bucket and let it dissolve over a week ...well that would give the weather time to suck the chlorine out.

Long sorry short, I put 4lb of CYA in a home depot bucket got my drill and put a paint mixing paddle on it. I was able to dissolve 7 lbs of CYA in a matter of 45 min.

Just thought I would share this finding

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FAST CYA Dissolving method

I'm not sure how that will actually work, if it will speed up the process?

If you're in such a heck-fire hurry you could always just buy the liquid (about double the price). I think it will appear in the test in a day.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Interesting theory. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to boil CYA into water to see if that speeds things up?
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm too lazy to hold a drill that long. I think I would have just dropped the sock in the skimmer. Or rigged up something like this.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually...I went pretty fast. You put water in the bucket...mix for about 5 min...dump that saturated water into the skimmer...put fresh water in the remaining CYA at the bottom...mix with drill...repeat. I was just trying to figure out how to keep my Chlorine in the pool and not have the sun suck it up and keeping the pool balanced....

Note: I just started up my pool within the past 4 days due to finishing a restoration.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

It also works to just knead a sock full of it. Work the sock a bit, dip it into the pool to rinse/re-saturate with pool water and knead it some more. If I do that for 5 min the sock is pretty much empty.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
    It also works to just knead a sock full of it. Work the sock a bit, dip it into the pool to rinse/re-saturate with pool water and knead it some more. If I do that for 5 min the sock is pretty much empty.
    will any old sock work?
    Intex Rectangular AG Ultra Frame Pool Set, 24' x 12' x 52" (8403 gal, well water)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System model number: 28663EG/54601EG
    Intex sand filter pump, 120V 1,600gph with GFCI
    Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Magus View Post
    Actually...I went pretty fast. You put water in the bucket...mix for about 5 min...dump that saturated water into the skimmer...put fresh water in the remaining CYA at the bottom...mix with drill...repeat. I was just trying to figure out how to keep my Chlorine in the pool and not have the sun suck it up and keeping the pool balanced....

Note: I just started up my pool within the past 4 days due to finishing a restoration.
    Interesting - how many times do you think you refilled the bucket with water during the process? If it took about 5 minutes per round and you were at it for 45 minutes, that suggests about 45 gallons of water.

I've read previous threads where people tried (and failed) to dissolve CYA in a 5 gallon bucket, even using very hot water. You seem to have found that it will dissolve, but that you need about ten times as much water as was reported in those other attempts. Thank you for reporting your findings!
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Even if you get it all dissolved, it does not seem to show up on the test any faster. It's frustrating but I think we all have to wait a few days to measure granular CYA.

The Liquid measures instantly, but it costs more than twice as much.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Idigress View Post
    will any old sock work?
    Only one you don't plan on wearing again...
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit