Just bought a k-2006 test kit and am kind of confused on what to do first.
Have an above ground 13,500 gallon pool. Sand filter. Pretty clear water, but have to keep vacuuming and brushing up some light green stuff daily on the bottom. So I'm assuming a SLAM will be in my near future. Problem is my ph is high, cya is probably low, and chlorine is non-existent. Do you fix these before the slam, during, or after? Here are my numbers
PH: 8.0 or maybe a little bit higher
Acid Demand Test: 2 drops=7.8, 3 drops=7.4, 4 drops=7.3, 5 drops=7.2
Calcium Hardness: 200
CYA: less than 30? pretty much crystal clear black dot when filled to the top, only a few speckles of cloudiness.
For comparisons sake, my Insta-Link 5 test strip gave me the following readings around the same time:
CYA: 40 this time, 20 the other day.
- Pool had a small leak, might be patched now if there aren't any other holes. Lost about an inch a day before the patch. Probably down to 1/2 inch or less now.
- Very little tree coverage, gets a bunch of summer sun per day.
- Sand filter can probably use a cleaning or some new sand - hasn't been done in a few years. But that is probably a task for the start of next season, since we don't have any shutoff valves currently installed.
- Fairly certain I did the cya test right. Don't want to do it too many times since the bottle only has enough drops for about 2 more of 'em.
- My mom wasted all her money at the pool store on chemicals that she never kept up with or cared for, so she has been fired and it's mine now.
So the question remains: What should I make right first?
PH Down? CYA Up? Chlorine? SLAM?
Been reading a bunch, but first time poster. If you need to know more, just ask.
Thanks for any help in advance.