Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: safe chlorine levels for vinyl liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

safe chlorine levels for vinyl liner?

Hi,
    I have a vinyl liner pool. What is the highest chlorine level I can safely have without bleaching the liner at all? If I have a CYA level of 50, is it really fine to have a FC level of 6.0 constantly if I have a vinyl liner? Just want to make sure.

I bought my house from my parents once they moved to a smaller house out of state to retire, and their last liner became pretty bleached compared to when they first got it. I have no idea what levels they kept the water at, but the when the new liner was installed they said it was pretty clearly bleached from too much chlorine at some point.

Thanks for the help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: safe chlorine levels for vinyl liner?

Do you have one of the recommended test kits?

Take a look at this link
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

- - - Updated - - -

6 is totally safe for your CYA level
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

I too am curious as I'm moving from an in-ground gunite to an in-ground vinyl pool in another part of town.

It's getting a new liner when I move in.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
    Do you have one of the recommended test kits?

Take a look at this link
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

- - - Updated - - -

6 is totally safe for your CYA level

I'm using a PoolMaster testkit currently. It seems to be working well. I looked at the chart on this website to get ideal FC levels of 6 for CYA of 50, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't harm the vinyl liner, or if instead maybe I should reduce my CYA and FC together.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a CYA of 70 using a SWG, and I may have FC from 5 to 8 depending of numbers of bather and sunshine all the time with no worries, I am more scare of algae!!!
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

With a CYA of 50 you are safe all the way up to 20, so why would you think 6 is high? You should actually be shooting for 7 or so just to be safe that it doesn't get to 4 or lower.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think it's high for the level of CYA, I was afraid it might be high because I have a vinyl liner and everywhere I read about "high" levels of chlorine bleaching vinyl liners, and the old liner was very bleached. I just don't know what a "high" level of chlorine is that would bleach the liner.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

oh, sorry. considering your CYA level. Over 20 would be getting close to too much. And even that would be okay for a little while, like if you were to ever try to fight Black Algae.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir