Pool surface

Wade C

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Tampa, FL
I'm on day four of my first SLAM, and the water is slowly but surely clearing. Clear water always lets you see what you couldn't before, so...

When I first bought this house (and pool) about three years ago, I asked the pool service guy whether I needed to think about replastering the pool - as it was looking pretty concrety to me - and he told me that I had at least two or three years before I needed to start thinking about that. He being the expert, I dropped the idea into the "checkback in three years" bin. Now that the water is clearing out from my first SLAM, it is obvious that there is not so much plaster as there is concrete in my pool. As draining and replastering will not be an option around here until this winter (water table height and risk of pop-out), I am wondering what I need to be aware of relative to the plaster - or lack of - effects on chemistry and also mitigating any further damage to the concrete until I get a chance to have it replastered. The remaining coating looks like it had a fine pebble in it...if that matters.

If you have a hydro-static relief valve (most pools have them in the main drain, remove the cover to see it) then you can
drain down and open it up without that worry of popping.

Just do what you are doing to maintain the chemistry recommended here and it should be fine.

my pool needs plaster too, hasn't been done in ages, the big pain in the rump with worn away plaster is
if you get an algae break out its a real bugger getting it all scrubbed out from the rough concrete surface.

I'm sure you noticed that lol.

borjis - Thanks for the reply, I'll do a little reading and take a look at the main. Yep, I have definitely noticed the concrete takes what I would guess is a bit more elbow grease than something a bit more plastery might take...like sweeping the garage as opposed to sweeping the kitchen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.