Upgrade Question

Jul 24, 2014
Los Angeles, Ca
Ok. I purchased a home with in ground pool. The plumbing is above ground. I have an estimate for new skimmer, 2 return jets, new pool light and converting to gfci electrical. Can't forget they are taking the pipes under ground (breaking concrete). I was quoted about $4200. I have a two party question. Does the estimate sound fair? Does the pool have to be COMPLETELY drained? Contractor says yes.

Well, I'm no contractor, but that quote doesn't shock me. Not sure if this is in-ground plaster or vinyl (that may make a difference as well), but that's a substantial job. The length/separation from pump to pool will also be a factor. Completely drain? If you have a main drain then yes. If no main drain, then I would think remove water slightly below the items being worked (i.e. skimmer, light). Of course concrete work is labor intensive, and around the pool it needs to be cosmetically correct as well. And don't forget the all-inclusive .. sometimes we really do get what we pay for. :)

Perhaps if you tell us the following, it will help other readers:
- Gunite or vinyl in-ground?
- Distance from pool to pump station
- Main drain yes/no; how many?
- Just one skimmer correct?
- Size of your pool

Hope this helps and everything works-out for you. Good luck!

There are a LOT of factors here including things like soil conditions, local labor rates, type of pool construction, width and type of decking, etc. The one thing I would suggestion though is to get 2 or 3 other quotes as there may be ways to do this less invasively.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.