Algae starting

May 30, 2014
Cottage grove, wi
i have an inflatable top ring intex pool with the pump that came with it and i run it 24/7. I check the chlorine and the PH every day. Initially i added stabilizer but have added no other chemicals other then bleach and ph minus.
It has a slight ting of green around the pool on the liner. I was able to scrub it off. Now what? My husband says to just add some more bleach and it should be fine. The pool hasn't been used in about a week so he thinks its due to stagnant water. Agree?
Thanks.

The big question is what is your CYA level? How much stabilizer did you add? Have you been using any powdered forms of chlorine? Knowing these answers will help identify preisely why your FC level dropped too low. Your husband is correct, the short answer is bleach.

The longer answer is the SLAM process, which requires a test kit that costs more than refilling the pool by a large margin.

I'd recommend draining and refilling. And after the refill, add enough bleach to get it to 10 FC and brush everything real good. Then add stabilizer (paying close attention to exactly how much) and adjust the pH and then maintain enough FC for your calculated CYA level.

I added stabilizer 12 oz (powdered) based on your seasonable pool recommendations to raise cya to 40. I did this only once when I initially opened my pool. I added enough bleach every day to maintain 4ppm but admittantly a few times the chlorine got as low as .05. My ph is usually around 7.8 so I add enough to lower it to 7.4-7.6. I really don't want to drain my pool as it's finally to a decent tempature but obviously will if need be. Can't I try slamming it with just bleach first?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.