Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae starting

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae starting

i have an inflatable top ring intex pool with the pump that came with it and i run it 24/7. I check the chlorine and the PH every day. Initially i added stabilizer but have added no other chemicals other then bleach and ph minus.
    It has a slight ting of green around the pool on the liner. I was able to scrub it off. Now what? My husband says to just add some more bleach and it should be fine. The pool hasn't been used in about a week so he thinks its due to stagnant water. Agree?
    Thanks.
    Intex Easy Set Pool
    12 ft round with top inflatable ring
    2200 gallons
    intex pump that came with pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae starting

8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

The bottom line is that you are lacking Free Chlorine. Circulation could be adding to the problem, but this is the root of your troubles. Have you seen our small pool guide?

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

I have and I test the fc and the ph every day and add bleach whenever it is below 4. The ph I try to maintain around 7.4 I think. I go by the guide for temporary pools and use you pool calculator. So I guess I don't understand. Sorry.
    Intex Easy Set Pool
    2200 gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

The big question is what is your CYA level? How much stabilizer did you add? Have you been using any powdered forms of chlorine? Knowing these answers will help identify preisely why your FC level dropped too low. Your husband is correct, the short answer is bleach.

The longer answer is the SLAM process, which requires a test kit that costs more than refilling the pool by a large margin.

I'd recommend draining and refilling. And after the refill, add enough bleach to get it to 10 FC and brush everything real good. Then add stabilizer (paying close attention to exactly how much) and adjust the pH and then maintain enough FC for your calculated CYA level.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi there, you said you added stabilizer but you didn't say how much, there is a relationship between CYA and FC that you have to maintain

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

This chart will help you
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP

7. Back To Top    #7

I added stabilizer 12 oz (powdered) based on your seasonable pool recommendations to raise cya to 40. I did this only once when I initially opened my pool. I added enough bleach every day to maintain 4ppm but admittantly a few times the chlorine got as low as .05. My ph is usually around 7.8 so I add enough to lower it to 7.4-7.6. I really don't want to drain my pool as it's finally to a decent tempature but obviously will if need be. Can't I try slamming it with just bleach first?
    Intex Easy Set Pool
    2200 gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

From my understanding, with a CYA of 40, you should shoot for 5+ when you chlorinate, to keep it from getting under 3 as it drops during the day.

Sean
    17X34 above ground painted concrete pool. 32" deep on the shallow end, 44" on the deep end. Sand pool filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

To slam the pool you need to have a recommended test kit, as Richard say it will cost you more, balancing a small pool takes more attention, I really will empty and start over

The corner stone of TFP