Cloudy Water

Jul 28, 2015
Ontario
Hello, I have adopted an in-ground pool as a result of a new home purchase last year. Previous summer the pool was sparkling and clean and I used granular chlorine, buffer ,and Oxibrite (non chlorine shock) the entire season. No issues. Their was no heater on the pool, we live in Toronto, Canada.

This year we added a heater and the season started out great! 83 degrees and everyone is happy. The past week the water has gotten cloudy and I notice a fine brown sediment at the bottom of the pool on a daily basis. We have recently had a warm spell with temperatures reaching about 90 during the day. I have still been using the granular chlorine and Oxibrite. Went to local pool store and they recommended a clarifier which didn't do much when added for one day. I had my water tested:
pH: 7.5
FC: 3.6
Tot Chl: 5.3
Adj. Total Alk: 82
Calcium 141
CYA: 106

After reading a few articles I realize the CYA is very high, however the pool store print out says acceptable range is 30-200!

I have now added a 5 L jug of liquid chlorine and another 1 KG of the shock. I have also started to drain a few inches off the top while adding fresh water to the pool.

Any ideas for a newby?

I'll answer because it looks like no one else is.

#1 Go to pool school (link upper right corner of site) and ditch the pool store.

#2 You need to confirm the CYA number and other numbers by testing it yourself with your own TF100 or Taylor K2006 test kit. CYA ppm determines the amount of chlorine you need in the water to properly sanitize your pool and to get rid of the algae in there. To reduce the CYA requires that you replace the water with fresh water. You will only want to perform this in one shot for obvious reasons. From the number you have posted your looking at a minimum 50% drain of the pool. From the number you posted (106) you will need to dilute the sample water in order to read the CYA concentration as the test maxes out at 100ppm.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Pool Math: Set it up with the correct chemicals and concentrations you are using and your pool size. Input target value for FC based on the CYA/Chlorine chart.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/114-poolmath-pool-calculator

SLAM process for defeating algae: Follow it to a tee.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Ditch the shock and just stick with liquid chlorine. What filter do you have?

I think that should keep you busy. :)

SO I have purchased a Taylor 2600 kit and I dumped and replaced half my water. My readings are now as follows:
FC: 7.5
CYA: 60
PH: 7.8
Alkalinity: 110
Calcium: 250

The pool is noticeably clearer already. I am going to SLAM it to remove the still cloudy water.

I have a sand filter, Hayward Pro Series Filter. 1 HP Hayward pump.

I have noticed the pressure on the filter is higher even after backwashing. It used to be around 12 and is now around 16. Is this a possible issue?

It may be a really good time to open that filter and inspect and deep clean the sand. There is an article in pool School to help you do that.

I don't have any other advice for the pressure increase. Have you added any restrictions to the pressure side? eyeballs, etc?

Your numbers look very good to start the SLAM and you seem to have a good grasp of what to do. Almost everyone fails to keep the chlorine high enough long enough. If you remember that, your pool will be crystal clear.

So SLAM is going quite nicely with noticeable improvement each day. I have maintained the FC above 25 for the majority of time and am now losing about 3 FC overnight. I have started heater up again and wanted to ask a few questions before I set my self back.
1: I have left solar blanket off the entire time. If I add it back on will it set me back due to possible algae on cover? If so I may take the cover out and give it a good wash.
2: Once I pass the three rules and let the FC start to drift back down what level should it be before I can let swimmers in? It is supposed to be a great weekend and I might have trouble convincing a 4 year old why he can't use his now clear blue pool!

- - - Updated - - -

Just another note, So glad to have stumbled across TFP. With this support system I will enjoy years of sparkling blue swimming!

Hi adopted owner,

I noticed you didn't post your CC (combined chlorine) number. If your losing 3 FC overnight, that an indication that your FC is still attacking algae and/or eliminating CC.

Your solar blanket could have algae (I would suggest thoroughly cleaning it), but the best reason for leaving it off during the day is allow sunlight to help get rid of CC

Once you have truly passed your OCLT, it is safe to swim at levels below your recommended SLAM levels.
And as PAGirl pointed out, you can clearly see the bottom of the pool and anything (anyone) in there :)

So pool is super clear and CC equals FC. OCLT was passed and level drifting back to normal...cue Murphy's law. I left for a business trip and my wife just let me know the pool pump died. I am returning on Thursday. Any ideas what she can do to maintain pool clarity until I get back to deal with it? I don't want to add anything extra to her plate while I am gone by having her search out pool pump repairs, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.