Above Ground Pool Deck

We had our pool installed last spring and this year we are planning on installing a deck. We have an 18' round. We would like to install a side deck along with the splash deck all the way around. We were wondering if we build the deck over the top rail, how much space is needed between the top rail and deck to allow for future servicing of liner and whatever else is needed? Also what is the typical size of the splash deck? What else should be considered? We live in Connecticut and I thought I read somewhere about the lumber sometimes warps during the seasons so I'm assuming the deck would have to go over the top rail?

Here is our pool:

DSCF0973.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, welcome! Can you update your profile to include Connecticut? That way you don't have to retype it when you post questions.

You want to consider your winter cover. We have a 1 inch gap - our deck is level with the top rail.

poolandbaseball008.jpg

My SIL pool - she has a one inch gap but her top rail is level with the beams (about 6 inches down from the top of the deck boards). My BIL pool - he has a one inch gap but the deck boards go UNDER the top rail. He removes the rails to cover the pool for the winter, or he uses waterbags or something similar to weigh down the cover to the deck. So several options are possible, you have to decide what you want it to look like. But you'll need at least an inch, I would think, to accomodate the winter cover.

I wish my deck area by the pool was larger, we cut it back because the lumber costs were getting too expensive the way our deck is designed. So now it's only 1/4 around and that's not enough for my liking. My BIL's deck goes all the way around and at either end it's about 5 feet out to the corners, on the sides it's about 2-3 feet. Room enough to walk on the sides, so the deck is almost a rectangle around the round pool, at the one end room enough for a table and lounge chairs, and then the jumping/splash area is the other end.

Hopefully several folk will chime in and you'll find an idea that appeals to you. Good luck!

mastiffs08 said:
We had our pool installed last spring and this year we are planning on installing a deck. We have an 18' round. We would like to install a side deck along with the splash deck all the way around. We were wondering if we build the deck over the top rail, how much space is needed between the top rail and deck to allow for future servicing of liner and whatever else is needed? Also what is the typical size of the splash deck? What else should be considered? We live in Connecticut and I thought I read somewhere about the lumber sometimes warps during the seasons so I'm assuming the deck would have to go over the top rail?

Thanks!

I am building a splash deck this spring as well...I am going to do as Pool Mom has shown...my boards will be level with the deck...However, I am building a 12 by 12 deck...that seems about standard...My pool is 24 foot round. I think proportionately you would want to go a little smaller unless you do some wrap around...If you don't the 12 by 12 may not fit your pool right. A 12 By 12 deck will take up appoximately three sections of your pool. With a smaller pool that may be too much deck and make the deck an overwhelming part of your pool. It is all up to your personal taste. Lowes has a great deck design tool that allows you to just about do everything you need to design your deck...This is where I got my designs. You can do it on line, and it gives you instructions and a full material list. go to Lowe's.com. You have to register with the site to do it but it is worth it.

Here is my .02 !!

If you remember when your laying your deck to keep the "caps" up your would should not warp. What I mean by "caps" is when you look at the end of the boards you should be able to see lines forming a half circle. Those lines when the tree was hole is what would have been the rings inside the tree. If you kee the round part to the top or "cap up" you shouldnt have any problem with warping.

I might also suggest attaching your deck with screws which also helps prevent warping as nails tend to pull up if there is any warping.

Good luck with your build !!!

So we decided to just do a side deck. The guys came on saturday to start the building. We hired someone to do it. They built the deck and tomorrow are doing the cement posts and probably gonna finish the railings and the self closing gate. We chose a 12'x16' deck. I didn't realize how big it was but its perfect for entertaining. We also went over the top rail and there is a 4 inch gap between. Now I can't wait until warmer weather!

DSCF1774.jpg

DSCF1771.jpg

DSCF1772.jpg

How are you going to have the ladder for entry into and out of the pool to the deck? I'm just looking at it and it looks awfully high for the ladder you have now or in the previous pic. Also, what if you need to change the liner? The top rails will need to be taken off. <I know you're not replacing a liner but ya never know>...

i'm hoping to use the ladder that was on the outside of the pool. it was only like 4 inches below the top rail when it was outside of the pool but we will see. there is a 4 inch gap between the top rail and bottom of the deck and the way it looks its not going to interfer with the caps because there is more room under the deck between the running boards (i think thats what they are called). we went to the pool store that we bought the pool from and they said that 4 inches is fine for the deck to be over the top rail. they also said that the ladder would work.

Well the deck passed inspection today. Here is some finished pictures. Its been raining for the past few days so i haven't gotten any pics without the supports. I measured the ladder and the first step would be 14 inches which is the same as the bottom step so it shouldn't be that bad.

DSCF1805.jpg

DSCF1816.jpg

DSCF1815.jpg

DSCF1811.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TizMe said:
Nice job !! Wood decks always look so nice when they are new !!!

Amen, why can't they just stay that way forever. Like puppies....why can't dogs stay cute like puppies forever....

Our deck looked so nice when it was new, and then we stained it ourselves and it looked great at first, but after the first year we noticed some areas peeling and now after 2 years we have to redo it. We stained ourselves after a huge hassle trying to hire someone. We don't want to do it ourselves again, but I'm afraid of a hassle again. Fence needs to be done too.....so expensive. That's the downside of having a large deck and fenced in yard. Makes me wish we had gone the maintenance free route.....

Finished product looks good! :goodjob:

frustratedpoolmom said:
cubbybeave08 said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
Very nice! That was FAST! Took my hubby 2 years :shock: to complete our deck (this was in his non-existent spare time...)

Enjoy! :goodjob:

That and he is a master craftsman perfectionist!!!RIght Ann!!! :goodjob:

Cyberstalker.... :p :mrgreen:

Hey I am darned near ready to get things rolling here...maybe not this weekend but next....want to add water get pump and filter running...what do you think? Did Hubby tell you I peeked...Clear all the way to the bottom. Just some leaves that blew in there back in December when I had a cover malfunction. Other than that Chrystal clear!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.