Question about rain

SC83

Jul 23, 2015
SC
Hey! So it's about to pour---I currently don't have a cover as my Intex cover ripped in several places. ��shock I know! Lol

Soooo---before I had the pleasure of getting advice from you fine people I would've added Algaecide, but now I check my levels and Most likely will just need to give it a dose of Chlorine---right?

Last edited:
Sometimes rain, accompanied usually by wind can blow and drop some organics in the pool, which may increase chlorine demand. Rain itself, from my experience has very little affect on my chlorine usage. It doesn't hurt to bump your FC up a few ppm though.

If you have TA that's on the high range, rain produces LOTS of aeration through all the drops hitting the surface. This increases carbon dioxide outgassing which can lead to a pH rise. How much depends on your TA level and current pH.

rain will dilute your pool, very slightly. that's the only affect direct from rain. if you had a pool with 4' average depth and you got a 2" rainstorm, you pool will be diluted by 4%. so if your FC was at 8ppm, its now at 7.7ppm....so basically no affect. rain's impact on chlorine is an old myth that has zero weight to it. its perpetuated by pool stores, along with all the other expensive pool magic potions sold by them.

if you are continually getting heavy rain and having to dump water from your pool (like I am currently doing) you could have more impact...but really you are adjusting your FC daily so no big deal. it is having an impact on my salt and CYA levels. I have lost about 25% of my salt and CYA over the past 2 weeks from the tropical depression that is parked over my house. I have to drain another 3" inches tonight

rain will dilute your pool, very slightly. that's the only affect direct from rain. if you had a pool with 4' average depth and you got a 2" rainstorm, you pool will be diluted by 4%. so if your FC was at 8ppm, its now at 7.7ppm....so basically no affect. rain's impact on chlorine is an old myth that has zero weight to it. its perpetuated by pool stores, along with all the other expensive pool magic potions sold by them.

if you are continually getting heavy rain and having to dump water from your pool (like I am currently doing) you could have more impact...but really you are adjusting your FC daily so no big deal. it is having an impact on my salt and CYA levels. I have lost about 25% of my salt and CYA over the past 2 weeks from the tropical depression that is parked over my house. I have to drain another 3" inches tonight

Stay dry, Dan. We will take that TD off your hands here in Texas!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.