Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about rain

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about rain

Hey! So it's about to pour---I currently don't have a cover as my Intex cover ripped in several places. ��shock I know! Lol

Soooo---before I had the pleasure of getting advice from you fine people I would've added Algaecide, but now I check my levels and Most likely will just need to give it a dose of Chlorine---right?
    Last edited by SC83; 07-28-2015 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Typo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about rain

Sometimes rain, accompanied usually by wind can blow and drop some organics in the pool, which may increase chlorine demand. Rain itself, from my experience has very little affect on my chlorine usage. It doesn't hurt to bump your FC up a few ppm though.

If you have TA that's on the high range, rain produces LOTS of aeration through all the drops hitting the surface. This increases carbon dioxide outgassing which can lead to a pH rise. How much depends on your TA level and current pH.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks a bunch!!

4. Back To Top    #4

rain will dilute your pool, very slightly. that's the only affect direct from rain. if you had a pool with 4' average depth and you got a 2" rainstorm, you pool will be diluted by 4%. so if your FC was at 8ppm, its now at 7.7ppm....so basically no affect. rain's impact on chlorine is an old myth that has zero weight to it. its perpetuated by pool stores, along with all the other expensive pool magic potions sold by them.

if you are continually getting heavy rain and having to dump water from your pool (like I am currently doing) you could have more impact...but really you are adjusting your FC daily so no big deal. it is having an impact on my salt and CYA levels. I have lost about 25% of my salt and CYA over the past 2 weeks from the tropical depression that is parked over my house. I have to drain another 3" inches tonight
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    rain will dilute your pool, very slightly. that's the only affect direct from rain. if you had a pool with 4' average depth and you got a 2" rainstorm, you pool will be diluted by 4%. so if your FC was at 8ppm, its now at 7.7ppm....so basically no affect. rain's impact on chlorine is an old myth that has zero weight to it. its perpetuated by pool stores, along with all the other expensive pool magic potions sold by them.

if you are continually getting heavy rain and having to dump water from your pool (like I am currently doing) you could have more impact...but really you are adjusting your FC daily so no big deal. it is having an impact on my salt and CYA levels. I have lost about 25% of my salt and CYA over the past 2 weeks from the tropical depression that is parked over my house. I have to drain another 3" inches tonight
    Stay dry, Dan. We will take that TD off your hands here in Texas!

15k gal IG plaster w/ water feature; 600 gal spa w/ spillway; Pentair VS+SVRS Pump; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; Pentair MiniMax NT Heater; Rainbow Lifegard 320 In-Line Feeder (no idea what this does or how it works); Polaris 3900 Sport Cleaner (constantly on its side); Compool Lx3800 Control System; TFT-100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Y'all are awesome as always. Thanks!
    Not quite the same as FL, but used to live in Charleston,SC so I feel ya the TDs and TSs & the oh so fun hurricane of course!

7. Back To Top    #7

well this TD has been brutal. just completely stalled and parked over us for 2 weeks now almost. its finally dissipating.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;