Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid - Return Jet and Pool Equipment

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid - Return Jet and Pool Equipment

I've read about the recommended approach to adding MA on this forum... pouring it slowing in the deep end over a return jet with the pump running. My question is regarding the direction of the pool jet. My jets are currently pointed down. When I pour MA over it, I can't really see where the acid is picked up by the jet flow - no matter where I pour it around the jet. So, is it best to have it pointed in an upward direction such that is makes a steady flow on the surface of the water?

Secondly, should I remove my vacuum from the pool prior to adding MA? Is it possible it could damage the vacuum, hose, etc. if it where to run right over freshly poured MA at the bottom of the pool?

And finally, many have recommended brushing the walls and pool floor after adding MA... I'm guessing this will not hurt the brush, but not knowing any better, seems like it would eat nylon bristles.

18K gal, 32' x 17' IG, pebble - Hayward SwimClear C5030 cartridge filter, 2HP Hayward pump, Hayward W530 leaf canister, Hayward AquaNaut 200 automatic pool cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic Acid - Return Jet and Pool Equipment

You really don't want the return flow breaking the water surface. Just shy of that is ok however. None of your equipment concerns going to be a problem.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

try about a 30 degree down angle when adding.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Dallas Ga

I use my returns to create a whirlpool so the skimmer can do it's job.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C