Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spray Bars

1. Back To Top    #1

B.A, OK

Spray Bars

Here in Oklahoma, we have been having a pretty warm summer thus far. Since we took down the old 15' pool and put up an 18', we moved it away from the Maple tree we planted several years ago (it has no "competition, so it is already starting to spread). In doing so, we have moved the pool into full sun! Average daytime temp in the pool is around 95 degrees. Late evening it hovers around 98.

I am going to add a thru the wall skimmer and hard plumb all my lines. I have a Hayward 1hp pump. I had planned on using the existing return and make the existing intake my returns with the new setup. I also wanted to add a spray bar(s) to the new returns to try to get the temp down. Question: Will the 1hp pump have enough guts to power two returns and two spray bars (probably about 3ft total on each one)?? I also plan on adding ball valves to the spray bars to turn them off and on as needed. Each spray bar will be plumbed off the return line on it's side.
    18 foot Intex metal frame pool
    1 hp Hayward pump
    200lb Hayward sand filter
    100' extendion cord for power

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Spray Bars

I would guess yes. My 1 HP pump has no problem feeding three pool returns and two spa jets. Have you ever tried to hold the backwash hose when it's flowing? A 1 HP pump can move some water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Houston, TX

I have a home made spray bar, it cools my pool about 5-7 degrees.
    I have valves no both the return and spray bar. I do run them boat at the same time.

AquaMaster Deluxe 8000 AGP, 5500 gallons, 12x18. Liquidator and Pool Rover JR.
    1st Pool so go easy on me I'm using a TF 100.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Now run that puppy at night and it should be cooler in the AM. You may want to add more holes to increase the water being pushed through.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

5. Back To Top    #5

Llano, TX

This is what my Intex 1500 GPH pump will do with my homemade spray bar.
    Intex 16 x 48 Ultra Frame, basic 1500? GPH pump/cartridge filter
    Through wall skimmer, hard plumbed, homemade fountain. To do: deck, upgrade pump and filter.
    Build thread, in progress:

6. Back To Top    #6

Anderson, ca

I am in the process of piping my intex pool. I am going to add a spray bar. After pondering it for awhile, why not just use a sprinkler or two? Seems you would have plenty of options and control. Drilling holes in a pipe would be cheaper but just marginally.
    5061 gal AG Intex 16 x 48 Ultra metal frame installed 8/10/14. 1500 gph Intex Cartridge Filter Pump with over side skimmer. Intex SWG 7k gal. TF-100 Kit