Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: R-20 Pool lights questions (LED replacements)

1. Back To Top    #1

R-20 Pool lights questions (LED replacements)

Hi all,
    Yesterday I cleaned out the two light niches in my pool, and both fixtures contain R-20, 120V, 100-watt bulbs.

I'm interested in the LED colorchanging bulbs, but don't know what the options are, so I have a few questions.
    1) The R-20 means it is 20/8" (or 2.5") across the bulb's face, so not a large light. I haven't seen sizes yet, but would this be a "spa" light?
    2) I found the J and J lights will synchronize to each other. I know they are on the same GFCI breaker, but each light is on a separate switch near the pool. I don't know if the GFCI will interfere with the lights' communication -- will they work?
    3) Are there other lights that have a separate color controller that will also screw in, or would they be full fixture replacements?
    4) Any idea how many lumens the existing 100-Watt bulbs may be? 800 or so?

If YOU have colored LED lights, what do you have and how do you control them?
    Brent / 24k gal / 16'x36' IG / Dura Glas II 1.25hp / 55 sqft DE filter / CircuPool Si-45 / TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: R-20 Pool lights questions (LED replacements)

Welcome to TFP!

I am so lost when it comes to lights so I can't really andswer but there are so many people here who may be able to help you. So lets bump your thread and see if we can get you an answer.

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: R-20 Pool lights questions (LED replacements)

Thanks, Casey.

I found a few of my answers, enough to decide on lights. Our pool has two spa-sized lights that shine across the pool which is only 15-16' across. This means the smaller LEDs will fit.

I decided on the J&J ColorSplash 3G LEDs. The GFCI breaker should not interfere with them syncing, but we'll see.

The lights should arrive Monday, so next week I'll take before/after pictures with my camera to compare brightnesses. I could not find lumen ratings on any LED replacements.
    Brent / 24k gal / 16'x36' IG / Dura Glas II 1.25hp / 55 sqft DE filter / CircuPool Si-45 / TF-100 kit