PVC Shelf Life

Jul 28, 2015
B.A, OK
So, last summer I hard plumbed the line from my pump to my sand filter with 1 1/2" pvc. As always, I bought extra pvc pipe in case I made a mistake somewhere. Once I got done, I threw the extra pipe behind the "pool box" and forgot about it. This year (actually, this weekend), I plan on installing a thru the wall skimmer and hard plumbing everything. I know a trip to the hardware store is in order for fittings, valves and some more pipe, but can I use the pipe from last year? Or should I just start over and pitch it?? It has been laying on the ground, getting sun, wind, rain and snow for the last year.

As long as it has not changed shape from heat or descolored from UV then it is fine to use. I have some that is at least 15 yrs old that I just used this yr to hard plumb my sand filter when we installed our pool this spring. It's been running 3 months now without any problems. Just make sure to use the purple primer and glue that is fresh, and all should be fine.

Tim

Yes the clear makes for a nicer look, but I use the purple for 2 reasons, first it helps me to see if I primed it incase I get side tracked (like that ever happens), second is because our local inspector requires it to tell if you really did use primer. Not that I call for inspections on my pool, just old habits I guess. As long as the primer and glue are fresh that is the most important part.

Tim

Yes the clear makes for a nicer look, but I use the purple for 2 reasons, first it helps me to see if I primed it incase I get side tracked (like that ever happens), second is because our local inspector requires it to tell if you really did use primer. Not that I call for inspections on my pool, just old habits I guess. As long as the primer and glue are fresh that is the most important part.

Tim

I bet he couldn't show you that in a written local code........................

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.