Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Shelf Life

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Shelf Life

So, last summer I hard plumbed the line from my pump to my sand filter with 1 1/2" pvc. As always, I bought extra pvc pipe in case I made a mistake somewhere. Once I got done, I threw the extra pipe behind the "pool box" and forgot about it. This year (actually, this weekend), I plan on installing a thru the wall skimmer and hard plumbing everything. I know a trip to the hardware store is in order for fittings, valves and some more pipe, but can I use the pipe from last year? Or should I just start over and pitch it?? It has been laying on the ground, getting sun, wind, rain and snow for the last year.
    18 foot Intex metal frame pool
    1 hp Hayward pump
    200lb Hayward sand filter
    100' extendion cord for power

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC Shelf Life

If it's sun damaged it will be discolored significantly. Brown to purple ish. If not, it's fine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as it has not changed shape from heat or descolored from UV then it is fine to use. I have some that is at least 15 yrs old that I just used this yr to hard plumb my sand filter when we installed our pool this spring. It's been running 3 months now without any problems. Just make sure to use the purple primer and glue that is fresh, and all should be fine.

Tim
    24ft Round AGP, built 5/10/15, 13500gal, 1hp Hayward pump, sand filter, hard piped, Pulsar Pulsatron Auto clorine pump. Intex auto cleaner robot. TF-100 XL with speed stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

They actually make clear primer, not just cleaner. I'd go with that for appearance as purple gets messy. Always use fresh glue, no doubt.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes the clear makes for a nicer look, but I use the purple for 2 reasons, first it helps me to see if I primed it incase I get side tracked (like that ever happens), second is because our local inspector requires it to tell if you really did use primer. Not that I call for inspections on my pool, just old habits I guess. As long as the primer and glue are fresh that is the most important part.

Tim
    24ft Round AGP, built 5/10/15, 13500gal, 1hp Hayward pump, sand filter, hard piped, Pulsar Pulsatron Auto clorine pump. Intex auto cleaner robot. TF-100 XL with speed stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

That would aggravate me to no end. I made sure my PB used clear on my pad so it wouldn't all look so sloppy.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by dieseltim2 View Post
    Yes the clear makes for a nicer look, but I use the purple for 2 reasons, first it helps me to see if I primed it incase I get side tracked (like that ever happens), second is because our local inspector requires it to tell if you really did use primer. Not that I call for inspections on my pool, just old habits I guess. As long as the primer and glue are fresh that is the most important part.

Tim
    I bet he couldn't show you that in a written local code........................
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

You know they now make a UV primer that can only be seen with special UV light for inspection purposes
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~