major problems

Jul 28, 2015
Cambridge/MN
Ok, I have an above ground pool with approximately 10000 gallons. I added water from well and has rust, but that isn't the real problem. I just can't seem to get the green out of pool. I have owned this pool 11 years and have not had this much problems. Last year I needed to get a new pump. I have a Sta-rite Cartridge filter. I bought a new hayward promatrix pump with the same 1 hp. This year my filters didn't seam to take out the green so I got a brand new cartridge. The new filter worked and cleaned my green water. Then I was gone and have green pool water again, which I cannot seam to get rid of after shocking this time. Could it be and oversized pump. The pressure is always around 7-8psi. My flow rate for my filter is 56. I cannot find a flow rate for the pump. All chemical levels look good. What to do?

Welcome to TFP!

Post your test results, including CYA and chlorine. Saying they look good just isn't enough information. How does the water look? Clear and green or cloudy and green? With iron in the water, you often get a yellow tint that looks green with a blue liner.

Welcome to TFP!

Post your test results, including CYA and chlorine. Saying they look good just isn't enough information. How does the water look? Clear and green or cloudy and green? With iron in the water, you often get a yellow tint that looks green with a blue liner.

Tested with liquid before. This is results of strip.
Total hardness. 500
Total Chlorine 10
Free Chlorine 10
PH 6.8
Alkalinity 40
Cyanuric aid - 0

Can see the bottom but noticable algea.

There is nothing wrong with the size of the pump. You need to stay on top of the pool's chemistry and not rely on the filter to keep algae at bay. That is not what it is designed to do. What do you normally use to chlorinate the pool?

There is nothing wrong with the size of the pump. You need to stay on top of the pool's chemistry and not rely on the filter to keep algae at bay. That is not what it is designed to do. What do you normally use to chlorinate the pool?

I use 3in Chlorine tablets in floating skimmer. I also use shock when I notice a green tint. It has seamed to work in the past before I got the new pump. That is why I ask about too much flow rate from the pump.

I wouldn't trust your Cya reading of 0 if you've been using pucks unless you did a complete refill...it wasn't clear if you refilled from empty in your first post.

You have to decide if you want to treat your pool the way we do here and forever get rid of algae. It involves a good test kit (no strips) liquid bleach stabilizer and muratic acid for pH. But you wont be able to use pucks as that elevates cya over time rendering your chlorine inert to kill algae.

I wouldn't trust your Cya reading of 0 if you've been using pucks unless you did a complete refill...it wasn't clear if you refilled from empty in your first post.

You have to decide if you want to treat your pool the way we do here and forever get rid of algae. It involves a good test kit (no strips) liquid bleach stabilizer and muratic acid for pH. But you wont be able to use pucks as that elevates cya over time rendering your chlorine inert to kill algae.

Ok, what can I do now. I have ran the filter for 3 days after shock. Free chlorine and chlorine levels are high but it isn't filtering it out. It's the same green as when I started. This is why I don't feel the filter is working properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, what can I do now. I have ran the filter for 3 days after shock. Free chlorine and chlorine levels are high but it isn't filtering it out. It's the same green as when I started. This is why I don't feel the filter is working properly.
As already mentioned, your filter does not kill algae, proper chlorination kills algae.

What is your exact FC level & how often are you checking? What is this "liquid" kit you mention?

Those "guess" strips are not going to get you ahead of this algae.

What I suggest you do now is spend some time in Pool School, especially the ABC's of pool water chemistry ( http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry ), how to complete a proper slam ( http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl ) & how to chlorinate your pool ( http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/142-how-to-chlorinate-your-pool )

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.