Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: major problems

1. Back To Top    #1

major problems

Ok, I have an above ground pool with approximately 10000 gallons. I added water from well and has rust, but that isn't the real problem. I just can't seem to get the green out of pool. I have owned this pool 11 years and have not had this much problems. Last year I needed to get a new pump. I have a Sta-rite Cartridge filter. I bought a new hayward promatrix pump with the same 1 hp. This year my filters didn't seam to take out the green so I got a brand new cartridge. The new filter worked and cleaned my green water. Then I was gone and have green pool water again, which I cannot seam to get rid of after shocking this time. Could it be and oversized pump. The pressure is always around 7-8psi. My flow rate for my filter is 56. I cannot find a flow rate for the pump. All chemical levels look good. What to do?
    skirkeide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: major problems

Welcome to TFP!

Post your test results, including CYA and chlorine. Saying they look good just isn't enough information. How does the water look? Clear and green or cloudy and green? With iron in the water, you often get a yellow tint that looks green with a blue liner.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

Post your test results, including CYA and chlorine. Saying they look good just isn't enough information. How does the water look? Clear and green or cloudy and green? With iron in the water, you often get a yellow tint that looks green with a blue liner.
    Tested with liquid before. This is results of strip.
    Total hardness. 500
    Total Chlorine 10
    Free Chlorine 10
    PH 6.8
    Alkalinity 40
    Cyanuric aid - 0

Can see the bottom but noticable algea.
    skirkeide

4. Back To Top    #4

How do you chlorinate? With zero CYA, your chlorine will have to be added several times a day to maintain a constant supply.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    How do you chlorinate? With zero CYA, your chlorine will have to be added several times a day to maintain a constant supply.

So what do I need to do?
    skirkeide

6. Back To Top    #6

Could the oversized pump effect filtration even if the pressure is only at 7-8. I want to make sure I don't have to downsize my pump as well. Thanks
    I never had to add stabilizer before , so it is new to me.
    skirkeide

7. Back To Top    #7

There is nothing wrong with the size of the pump. You need to stay on top of the pool's chemistry and not rely on the filter to keep algae at bay. That is not what it is designed to do. What do you normally use to chlorinate the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the size of the pump. You need to stay on top of the pool's chemistry and not rely on the filter to keep algae at bay. That is not what it is designed to do. What do you normally use to chlorinate the pool?

I use 3in Chlorine tablets in floating skimmer. I also use shock when I notice a green tint. It has seamed to work in the past before I got the new pump. That is why I ask about too much flow rate from the pump.
    skirkeide

9. Back To Top    #9

I wouldn't trust your Cya reading of 0 if you've been using pucks unless you did a complete refill...it wasn't clear if you refilled from empty in your first post.

You have to decide if you want to treat your pool the way we do here and forever get rid of algae. It involves a good test kit (no strips) liquid bleach stabilizer and muratic acid for pH. But you wont be able to use pucks as that elevates cya over time rendering your chlorine inert to kill algae.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    I wouldn't trust your Cya reading of 0 if you've been using pucks unless you did a complete refill...it wasn't clear if you refilled from empty in your first post.

You have to decide if you want to treat your pool the way we do here and forever get rid of algae. It involves a good test kit (no strips) liquid bleach stabilizer and muratic acid for pH. But you wont be able to use pucks as that elevates cya over time rendering your chlorine inert to kill algae.

Ok, what can I do now. I have ran the filter for 3 days after shock. Free chlorine and chlorine levels are high but it isn't filtering it out. It's the same green as when I started. This is why I don't feel the filter is working properly.
    skirkeide

11. Back To Top    #11

As someone stated above you need to decide if you want to do it the TFP way. If so you need to get a good test kit and post results.

21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by skirkeide View Post
    Ok, what can I do now. I have ran the filter for 3 days after shock. Free chlorine and chlorine levels are high but it isn't filtering it out. It's the same green as when I started. This is why I don't feel the filter is working properly.
    As already mentioned, your filter does not kill algae, proper chlorination kills algae.

What is your exact FC level & how often are you checking? What is this "liquid" kit you mention?

Those "guess" strips are not going to get you ahead of this algae.

What I suggest you do now is spend some time in Pool School, especially the ABC's of pool water chemistry ( http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry ), how to complete a proper slam ( http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl ) & how to chlorinate your pool ( http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...nate-your-pool )

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!