Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get rid of cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get rid of cloudy water

Hi -
    This is my first post, but I've been trying to follow the system since May. We've had a lot of rain here and I had a lot of pollen in June. About three weeks ago, I tried to vacuum up the pollen (thought it might be dead algea, but have changed my mind) and noticed it was coming right back into the pool (the cartridge filters weren't catching it). This left the water cloudy and I haven't been able to clear it since. The first thing I did to try to clear it was buy flocculant (thinking it was a clarifier). I followed the instructions, but it didn't seem to make the pieces big enough for the filters to catch. I then tried a clarifier which seemed to make it even more cloudy. I replaced the cartridges - didn't make a difference. I've had the filter running nonstop for the last two weeks. There was a slight change about a 5 days ago where it was still cloudy but I could actually see the bottom. There wasn't a lot there, but I vacuumed it anyhow. I've been brushing it every couple days. I bought a filter sock a few days ago, but don't notice any real difference. I've tried keeping the numbers in line (with the exception of running the chlorine high just in case there was any algea). Had a huge downpour Sunday and afterwards ph was over 8. Yesterday I couldn't see the bottom again. I was in a hurry so just dumped a gallon of muriatic acid in yesterday which is why the ph is so low today. Is it safe to swim in? Why so cloudy and how do I get rid of it?
    Thanks for any help.

FC 10 CC 0.5
    PH 7.0 TA 100
    Cal Hard 100
    CYA 50 Borates 40
    Above Ground Pro series -
    upgraded pump to Intex 2500
    10400 Gallons

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Can't get rid of cloudy water

Welcome to TFP! Sounds like you are doing a pretty good job maintaining your pool!

It is safe to swim when
    PH is 7.2 to 7.8
    Chlorine is between minimum and shock level for your CYA
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    The water is clear

As for cloudiness the best way to clear that is to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool.

Have you read this? Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

Re: Can't get rid of cloudy water

Hi, welcome to TFP! I think in your case the filtration is the problem. Do you have pool vacuum that hooks up to a water faucet or does it plug into the skimmer? Have you tried using a better quality cartridge in your filter? You can get something like this : Pleatco PC7-120 Filter Cartridge - Intex Type : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filter Inserts : Patio, Lawn Garden which will filter better than the paper intex cartridges.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!