Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flow Switch

1. Back To Top    #1

Flow Switch

I hope this hasn't been previously answered but I couldn't seem to locate anything. I plumbed in a Hayward flow switch the other day. It is a GLX-FLO. This morning while playing with my VS pump I noticed that when I turned the pump down to about 20% the flow switch indicated no flow. I can't find anything from Hayward that has the minimum amount of flow to trigger the switch. Is there a switch I can use that will work with extremely low flows? Note that I do NOT have a salt water generator. I simply have the flow switch hooked up as a precaution from burning out the pump should there be no flow for whatever reason.
    IG 13,000 gal, WetEdge Prism Matrix Indigo Blue, Hayward C4030 cartridge filter, Hayward Ecostar VS main pump, Hayward Tristar VS feature pump, Hayward OmniLogic, Hayward Sense & Dispense (pH only), Stenner 45MPHP22 bleach, Hayward H400FDN Heater, Hayward Color UCL lights, Pentair LED Bubblers. TF-100 XL test kit. Test Results. Build Thread.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flow Switch

That flow switch requires a decent amount of flow to actuate.

Dwyer Instruments sells a paddle switch that will adjust down to about 7 gpm in a 1½" pipe or 12 gpm in a 2" pipe. The FS-2

Alternately, you could glue a larger paddle to the GLX paddle and it should actuate at lower flow. I would not recommend that for use with a SWCG!!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Flow Switch

Bama, thanks for the reference to Dwyer. Looks like they have a large selection and various flow rates to trigger them. Might be worth investigating.

Hmm... Gluing a larger paddle might be the cheaper and easier alternative. And no worries, I don't have a SWG! That's why I started this thread. All the others I found were people who did have a SWG and therefore low flow actuation of the switch would be a bad idea.
    IG 13,000 gal, WetEdge Prism Matrix Indigo Blue, Hayward C4030 cartridge filter, Hayward Ecostar VS main pump, Hayward Tristar VS feature pump, Hayward OmniLogic, Hayward Sense & Dispense (pH only), Stenner 45MPHP22 bleach, Hayward H400FDN Heater, Hayward Color UCL lights, Pentair LED Bubblers. TF-100 XL test kit. Test Results. Build Thread.