Stonescapes Mini-Pebble Tropics Blue - how is deep end visibility?

LizW

Jul 26, 2015
Tampa, FL
Hi all -

We are remodeling our pool and decided on Stonescapes Tropics Blue Mini-Pebbles. We have not been able to see an actual pool with this finish and are basing our decision off of viewing pictures online.

I was 100% of our color choice until yesterday when I saw a black snake cross the pool deck, enter the pool and exit the other side of the pool. I am now questioning my color choice and would like to hear from others who have used this color finish - how is the visibility in the deep end of the pool? Ours is nine feet deep. If I use Tropics Blue will I be able to clearly see a black snake in the pool should he ever decide to take a dip again?

The other concern that is keeping me awake at night - we are installing a color LED light, NPT states that by using the Tropics Blue finish it will mute reds and blues from the light. Do I really want to pay $800.00 for "muted" colors? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just as a note, the red isn't just muted, it's dark in any color pool simply by its nature. The other colors will be darker than in a white pool for sure. The main idea is to properly select the number of lights given the shape, depth, color of finish and desired brightness. Often times one isn't enough whereas 1 may be enough for a standard light. I didn't see your pool details in your signature so I'm not sure of your size/configuration.

Just as a note, the red isn't just muted, it's dark in any color pool simply by its nature. The other colors will be darker than in a white pool for sure. The main idea is to properly select the number of lights given the shape, depth, color of finish and desired brightness. Often times one isn't enough whereas 1 may be enough for a standard light. I didn't see your pool details in your signature so I'm not sure of your size/configuration.

Thank you for your input, bmoreswim - I will get the pool details either from my husband or PB to put in my signature. To be honest, I only know that it is app. 16,000 gallons to refill. (Not very helpful, I know!) We currently have one light, not a LED, at the far end of the pool that has always been sufficient. Please bear with my newbieness - this was my first post, I'll try to get more of the technical details for a more informed post next time - I promise. Many thanks!

No problem. With a 16k gallon pool, that's probably in the middle ground between 1 and 2 LED's. But since I missed that this a remodel it doesn't really matter since you will only have one. So therefore, the plaster color is the only variable you have to get brighter water, assuming you go with color LED. Your other factors are probably more important for the surface color (general appearance, effect on water temperature depending on location, water color, etc). I don't really have much thought on being able to see snakes except that I'd think they'd be pretty visible during the day or at night with the light on unless the pool the finish is quite dark/black.

How about some TX folks chiming in on visibility of your snakes. I hear they are bigger down there though which may affect visibility. ?

I just went with Aqua Blue mini after debating about Tropics Blue. Aqua is a little lighter than Tropics, but still a rich blue color from the pools I've seen. Just getting mine done, so won't be able to tell you about mine for another few weeks.

I would stay away from this color with those concerns, and go much lighter. You will have very blue water with a deep end. Trust me, the pool in my avatar is dark at low sun angles, but it's barely got a hint of light Blue and a touch of Grey. Mine is also 9'.

For reference my pool just finished filling this morning. Aqua blue mini stonescape was done this past Saturday. I'm sure it will change color being so new but FWIW this at 4 to 5 ft depth and tan ledge is about 6-9" depth.
9e004235d4aa1a65a2e8c04d599bafbf.jpg
f2a922185ae7f29a5aeee0368325ce67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the twenty years we have lived here, I have only seen three snake crossings in the pool ( never while we were actually in the pool). Although the probability of a snake encounter is very low, I have to wonder if the thought will always be there IF the Tropics Blue Mini has low visibility in the deep end. The pool is not enclosed and only has one palm tree near it, two trees and several bushes were removed today to make way for extending the pool deck with pavers, adding a semi-circular retaining wall and a fire pit. So, it is fairly open - which I had hoped would give the Tropics Blue Mini-Pebble a lighter look. UNTIL, I spoke with NPT today and was told the mini is a bit darker than the regular pebble. The color objective is a true medium blue, no greens or gray and not too dark. Aqua Blue or Aqua White may be a better choice for our pool. Another sleepless night.....:D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Daxton,

Great color! Aqua Blue and Aqua White were added to the short-list today, I asked our PB about both and he stated that Aqua Blue has a lot of teal but I am not seeing that in your pic at all. He has never used Aqua White so I have spent the better part of the day trying to compare all three colors- I'm at the point of throwing a dart at the three colors and wherever it lands, that's it! Please do post more pictures of your pool, I have a few days before I have to pull the trigger and am very interested in seeing more of your Aqua Blue - thanks so much for posting your picture!

Will do this Saturday in sunlight and others. My build thread is New dig June 11 TX. We struggled as well with picking color but ended with Aqua due to wanting blue and not to dark to avoid heating the pool even more in the TX sun with a darker color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, so far I am 0 for 2 on posting my replies - the first reply was supposed to be to bmoreswim, the second was supposed to be to Daxton's post. Sorry guys, it's been that kind of day. Patrick_B, I think you have a great point and am now exploring other colors - I still have not completely ruled out the Tropics Blue. I wish I could actually see a pool with the Tropics Blue in a similar environment to our pool - I think this would make the decision much easier. Thank you all for your replies!

Hi all -

We are remodeling our pool and decided on Stonescapes Tropics Blue Mini-Pebbles. We have not been able to see an actual pool with this finish and are basing our decision off of viewing pictures online.

I was 100% of our color choice until yesterday when I saw a black snake cross the pool deck, enter the pool and exit the other side of the pool. I am now questioning my color choice and would like to hear from others who have used this color finish - how is the visibility in the deep end of the pool? Ours is nine feet deep. If I use Tropics Blue will I be able to clearly see a black snake in the pool should he ever decide to take a dip again?

The other concern that is keeping me awake at night - we are installing a color LED light, NPT states that by using the Tropics Blue finish it will mute reds and blues from the light. Do I really want to pay $800.00 for "muted" colors? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi - we are currently having the sane debate about Tropics blue ... Having second thoughts and considering Aqua mini. What did you end up deciding and do have any pics or advice? Need to let our builder know today 😩

We just finished our pool and I had a terrible time trying to find the Tropics Blue TOG. We decided to just go with it and hope for the best. Very happy we did. Its not too dark. You can clearly see the bottom, even in the shade. No one needs to be afraid of this color. Last one is in the shade. We are 7.5 feet deep and you can clearly see the bottom, even in the shade.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 10.46.10 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 10.46.10 AM.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_2476.JPG
    IMG_2476.JPG
    937.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_4985.jpg
    IMG_4985.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 292
We just finished our pool and I had a terrible time trying to find the Tropics Blue TOG. We decided to just go with it and hope for the best. Very happy we did. Its not too dark. You can clearly see the bottom, even in the shade. No one needs to be afraid of this color. Last one is in the shade. We are 7.5 feet deep and you can clearly see the bottom, even in the shade.
Gorgeous!

Reactions: Linda117
Thank you for this post! I had ruled it out (after deciding on it), but I heard it goes almost black in the shade. Did you look at French Gray at all? Would you say this is one shade darker? That's what I am going for! Our pool will be 3.5-6 ft deep.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.