Should I raise my CYA?

May 29, 2015
Roanoke, IL
Current levels this morning: (water is clear and have had ZERO problems this year - :D )
PH - 7.5
FC - 2.5 (added 33 oz. bleach and have been maintaining a level of 4)
CC - < .5
TA - 150
CH - 180
CYA - < 30 ( the water in the tester at the 30 level is about 3/4 clouded out so I would say that the CYA level is around 20 - 25)

I have seen greater FC loss (expected) due to heavier use and more sun exposure and with the higher water temps am concerned about algae. I understand that it is better to leave it covered up to reduce FC loss but with the higher outdoor temps, I don't want to leave my solar cover on b/c the water gets too warm.

Should I try to raise my CYA level to reduce loss from the sun and so that I have a higher FC level in reserve to fight the algae (no problems with it yet), or should I leave the CYA level where it's at?

Thanks!!

I agree that you could consider raising your CYA slightly higher. You stated your water is great and everything is fine, so as long as you are sure the FC loss is related to sun exposure, increasing CYA is a sound move. If you have ANY doubt that FC is lost to something other than the sun, then you can always do an Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) first, then increase CYA. That's certainly your call. Glad to hear your water is in great shape. Enjoy your summer!

I maintained my pool here in MN with 30 CYA early last summer. I bumped it to 40 in late July because I was losing too much chlorine during the day. My chlorine usage definitely went down. Went from a gallon of 12.5% per day (~4 ppm FC) to closer to about half or two-thirds (2-3 ppm FC) depending on sun exposure and usage.

I do appreciate all of your responses. I will perform the overnight test to make sure it isn't anything else in addition to the losses due to the sun and adjust my CYA to 40 after testing.

Is it best to raise CYA at night or can I do it anytime during the day?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.