my neighbors hate me...

May 24, 2015
l
Yea

We've installed an Above Ground recently and the installation includes a Pool Heater Pump and a Two Speeds Circulation Water Pump and a salt chlorination which requires the pump to run constantly.

Yesterday one of my neighbors asked me if i could run the Heater pump at night rather than during day time. He said that my 50000BTU Heater is making noise. That turning it off would make their life a little better. (they asked politely though)

So i just told him that i would try and see how it will be. (They have an inground pool, and they run their Water pump at night at full speed) i don't see any Heater pump in their installation.. so i think they don't use Heater pump like i do. But my other neighbor also has an inground and they also run everything at night...pump and heater pump.

When i look at their pool during daytime, i don't see any water movement and i don't hear anything.

So my question is this.

With the water pump running on low speed and the salt system 24/24 how can i automatically turn on/off the pool Heater pump on schedule?

Since my Water pump is on LowSpeed which drain about 160watts i always leave it to on, it's better for the Salt chlorination also. The pool water pump is set to Max speed and it drains nearly 700Watts which is too crazy expensive if i do this 24/24. Because of that i only use the Max speed when i use the Pool heater pump (which is about 5 or 6 hours a day). My wife and kids like the water to be around 87-88F degrees.

But to do so i have to change manually the speed of the water pump to max and then i manually turn on the heater. And ofcourse i do everything when i'm awake which is during daytime.!
I really don't want to go out in my yard at night with all the bugs and racoons and do that just to please my neighbor. Plus i heard that running the heater at night is not as efficient.

My Pool Heater pump does have a flow switch built in.. I know that i can set a 120volts timer on the water pump and when the pool pump runs the water flow will activate the heater pump and will shut itself off when there is no flow. But i don't want to do that either as i have balanced my salt system to give the right amount of chlorine over 24 hours.

So my problem is that i want to run my pool pump on low speed 24/24.. without a timer without disturbing the chlorination process

So how do i set the pool heater pump to shut off in the morning and kick back in during the night without turning off the pool water pump ?

If i install a 240Volt 30Amp Outdoor Timer on the heater (a 70$ device) would it work ? but i notice that when i turn on and off the heater pump from the breaker ( a hard shutdown ) it sort of reset the Heater which blink until i have confirm the desired temperature. Again i don't want to manually go out and confirm the desire temperature everytime it switch to on/off.
Using the built-in On/Off switch from the pannel seems the best way to turn off the heater, Does it mean i can not use a mechanic timer ?

So how can i please my neighbors without ruining my life ?

you should be able to confirm if a timer will work for you

1 shut off your heater with the heater breaker
2 bring your pump to full speed
3 turn the heater breaker back on and watch what it does

does it reset to the temp you had it?
does it start normally?
does it heat the same?

if yes to those questions then a timer will work for you

I am not sure what equipment you have but I really like my digital intermatic RF timer in my signature.. it turns on and off my pump, changes from hi speed or low speed (it will also do variable speed pumps) , turns on and off my SWG and also my lights.. it can only run 5 things so if you have more maybe this one is not the best option.. Intermatic PE653RC Wireless Control System for Variable Speed and Two-Speed Pumps - Sump Pump Accessories - Amazon.com

interesting,

how do you wire a 2 speeds water pump so that the timer can switch from speed 1 to speed 2 ?
right now the pump is a basic 2 speeds jacuzzi pump... the pump only has a selector switch

low - off - high

are you suggesting that i open the pump case and disable that switch and rewire the whole thing to a sofisticate timer ?

meanwhile im gona check how the heater pump react when i shut down power from the electrical box...

well, I would suggest buying it and having an electrician wire it in :) I don't mess with 220V, I watched him do it and probably could have figured it out but I feel much safer having it done :)

yes, the switch gets removed and certain wires are used for low and high speed, high is wired to switch 1 and low is wired to switch 2.. for me I have SWG wired to 3 and 12 volt light converter on 5

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.