Looking for design feedback - South Florida ODK

Hi everyone:

I have been going through the forum admiring amazing designs and dreaming about my own ODK.

Finally all the thinking, getting ideas, designing, etc. will be put to the test. Currently we are contracted to start our pool/patio/pergola project as soon as they manage to get the digging crew available (summer in SF is crazy for pool contractors, so currently our digging was delayed for 5 weeks after permits were finalized due to scheduling, but that is another story)

So I am planning to start building modules over the next few weeks so as to save time for when the patio is completed by mid september. I will be building with 2 1/2 " steel studs, either 22/20 gauge depending on what's available at the drywall supply store and budget.

The design that I have come up with is attached, any comments/feedback are gladly welcomed. The strange looking single column in the picture is actually part of a small patio roof, the pergola will be built slightly above that gladed roof. On the second picture I hid the walls so as to be easier to see the ODK design.

The appliances are a Lion L7500 grill and side burner, ice chest, doors, drawers all SS. Thinking of leaving a fridge out of the design as we have an ice maker inside the house to supply the ice chest and it gets VERY hot and humid outside most of the year.

Some general questions that I hope are not too basic:

- Based on my research on the forums, I should not be too concerned with module (as in boxes) building off site (i.e. garage) vs. on site stick by stick with respect to being plumb. Anyone thinks otherwise?

- We are laying concrete pavers (1 5/8" high), would it be silly to build this up directly on top of them vs. lying a poured concrete base? I am worried about pavers potentially shifting or settling, but due to crazy permitting requirements we have to wait for the full paver patio to be laid down before being able to pour any concrete, so will have to remove, cut to shape etc. pavers if concrete base is needed, which I would rather avoid if unnecessary.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• OKD Full.jpg
    OKD Full.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 243
  • ODK Detailed.jpg
    ODK Detailed.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 241
I'm just an onlooker, but my research on this gives me a few thoughts.
#1 - Great design. Looks like lots of good counter space. You probably want some power outlets on the raised edge (and maybe one on the front bar side down at 12-16" from floor.

#2 - Placing on pavers should be fine, depending on your paver base. If it were me, I would probably want to do a concrete base bad under and then raised ODK slightly with Trex footers. YMMV.

#3 - If it were me, I would not close off the grill area with the cooktop. I would make it an island layout rather than an "L". I tend to get / need / like some help coming and going from the bar area. A single ingress/egress can get crowded if someone is behind the bar and your trying to cook / prep / serve.

Hi TXNOLE

thanks for your input.

Agreed with the outlets. I was planning on doing two by the grill for the rotisserie motor and two or three more over the counter. Have not thought on the other side, great suggestion.

wrt. to the pavers they are supposed to be concrete pavers 9,000 psi, so I am not too worried about the actual paver, but more of the overall system, so once they are laid down by the Pool Builder I will have a better sense on whether they will hold vs. building a base, but for sure concrete pad is the standard of excellence.

I really liked your suggestion about the island design, the issue (and you can't see that on the diagram) is the space behind the cook top is very small to the edge of our property.

Anyway in the meantime since I posted above I made some rearrangement and added a cooler and a bigger ice/chest (cooler idea on a different thread) here is what is looking like now:

No question the pavers will hold the weight (we have paver drive and the cars are bigger than your grill ;)) but rather is the paver base proper for that weight versus people/chairs. If your paver installer knows your plans, they can add a crusher stone layer to further support that area.

New design is even better with the cooler. That's going to be fantastic! Quite jealous that you're moving ahead and I just have a pre-plumb. Keep the pics coming!

Yes, i am excited and can't wait to start, but they are just starting the pool dig this wednesday and so i won't be able to start on the ODK until final inspection, so a couple of months wait.

I'll check with my builder to make sure they add the crushed stone layer as you suggested to better distribute the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would skip the bar section behind the grill and sear station, its is a hot zone and most folks will not stand there.

Also you might find you will not be able to open the grill lid with a bar section anyways.

10640-albums2451-picture80672.jpg

John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found granite places here that sold premade counter top size and bar top size for much less that buying the sheet and having them do the cutting and grinding.

That is great John! were they normal granite places that sold pre-made, or sites that specialized on pre-made? I have not been able to find much of that locally, only from out of state so shipping kills any savings

That is great John! were they normal granite places that sold pre-made, or sites that specialized on pre-made? I have not been able to find much of that locally, only from out of state so shipping kills any savings

They are full service yards, you could buy full slabs, pre made counters, etc.

a quick Google search gave me these

http://www.builddirect.com/Prefab-S...N_4294967269+4294966291+4294960072_Ne_27.aspx

http://www.cuttingedgegranite.com/prefabricated-granite-page.htm

I am sure there are others, I would drive around the places that sell granite and look and or ask them.

John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.