Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any advice on pool cover in NJ

1. Back To Top    #1

Any advice on pool cover in NJ

Just finished new pool (IG vinyl, True L shaped with spillover spa, paver patio and coping)

Finally finished this nightmare project and already need to think about ordering a cover to close it in a few weeks - how depressing!!

Any types/brands to stay away from? Things to ask?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

L-shaped IG vinyl 36,000g Hayward DE Filter 2HP SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any advice on pool cover in NJ

Loop Lock

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by seniorpgatour View Post
    Loop Lock
    +1 on the loop loc
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bk406 View Post
    +1 on the loop loc
    +2 on the LoopLoc- Have mine for 9 years and it looks new
    Why closing so soon?
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

5. Back To Top    #5

Loop Loc. Going on 3 years. I went solid with mesh drains- highly recommend. You'll need a pump like a wayne automatic to keep on a step to keep the water level from getting too high through the winter. Or you can go all solid and keep a pump on top of the cover.

Order now, it takes 4-6 weeks to get one made and you're coming into the busy season. Your local dealer with visit and take a zillion measurements then place the order for you. You can have it installed when you close the pool.

I like the cover so much, I cover the pool when the leaves start dropping, but keep the pump running until water temp is solid below 60, then I "close" the pool. Same in the spring- when water is 60, fire up the pump, get water balanced, and leave cover on until the trees stop dropping pollen.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone - sounds like Loop Loc is very strong! EVC will stay open as long as possible but figured it might take a month or two to get it made.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok - PB is recommending Latham Coverstar - pricing is coming in similar to the LoopLoc quotes I have from other companies. Any preference? Any experience with Coverstar? Thinking if I go with PB there are fewer people to chase down with any problems

Thanks in advance

8. Back To Top    #8

So why is your PB recommending Coverstar? Is it only because its the one he's most familiar with? Does he know anything about LoopLoc? These would be questions I'd ask.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

9. Back To Top    #9

Does anyone have any experience with these covers and paver decks? One PB we've interviewed said the covers make a mess of pavers. Every other PB said it is fine.

What's the truth?

ac

10. Back To Top    #10

Went with LoopLoc and looks great

11. Back To Top    #11

Did you get your PB to go with Loop Loc?
    New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Looks great! It is interesting to see how the snow takes the cover down to the water level. Looks like they reinforced the inside corners well which will be needed due to the stress from the snow load.

Your decking also looks beautiful. We went with a Merlin cover and I'm convinced the top tier brands will all perform well. Ours will go on next week for winter number 3.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!