Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dark stains on plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Dark stains on plaster

Hi there. I have rust colored stains that are on my plaster in deep end and on 1st step. See pics. Any ideas? Water sparkling clear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15 K gallons
    Gunnite
    Centurion Pump/Hayward Sand Filter
    Polaris 360 Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dark stains on plaster

Try rubbing a puck on one of them and let us know what happens. If that does not do anything crush up some vitamin C crushed up in a sock and rub that one them.

Let us know what each one does or does not do.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

the tiniest piece of steel will create a spot like those you have. I made the mistake once of hacksawing some metal closet shelving to length out on the patio. Guess what?

Vitamin C will lift the stains. Just set a tablet on each for a few minutes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

The vitamin c worked on the steps...easy enough!
    Assuming the ones in the deep end are the same, I've read about crushing the tablets and putting them in a stocking. How do I get the stocking to stay on the curved portion of the pool? How long does it typically take the vitamin c to work? As you can see from pics, I'm going to have to buy a lot to treat all the stains in the deep end. Cheapest place suggestions?
    15 K gallons
    Gunnite
    Polaris 360 Robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Ugggg....in reading more, I think I've caused these stains when I went on vacation. My Ph drifts up regularly, and I put extra chlorine since I'd be gone. Think this is the culprit? Ph has always raised rather quickly.
    15 K gallons
    Gunnite
    Polaris 360 Robot

6. Back To Top    #6

If you add a lot of chlorine from hypochlorite, the pH will rise so yes that may have been the culprit. Before adding a lot of hypochlorite, lower the pH first. Also make sure you have enough metal sequestrant in the water. You could consider removing the metals from the water by using Metal Magic to try and capture it in the filter or by using CuLator to capture it in its bags in the skimmer.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"